Issue with email redirect email when hotmail or aol.com are used (DMARC issue?)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by tfboy, Sep 17, 2014.

1. tfboy

tfboy Member

Occasionally, I'm getting some warning emails from my server when someone filling in a wordpress form (wordpress site hosted on my server) has an aol.com originating email address and/or the final recipient after ISPConfig redirect is using a hotmail.com address.

Message is:
    Code:
    Reporting-MTA: dns; server-hostname
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: 9B137D539
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; web18@server-hostname
    Arrival-Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2014 14:38:54 +0100 (BST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Original-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Action: failed
    Remote-MTA: dns; mx3.hotmail.com
    Diagnostic-Code: smtp; 550 5.7.0 (SNT004-MC2F43) Unfortunately, messages from
        (my server's IP) on behalf of (aol.com) could not be delivered due to domain
        owner policy restrictions.

Scenario is like this:
    • Person fills in web form and provides aol.com email address.
    • Wordpress webform then submits this as an email to an alias email address in ISPconfig.
    • Email alias then redirects to several destination email addresses, one of which is a hotmail.com one

My guess is this is a DMARC security thing as the receiving hotmail MTA sees an originating email from aol.com but it's come from a different (my) server therefore rejects it.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to ensure that the email script that you use is not trying to set the address that the user entered as from address of the send email. If the address is used as from address, then other servers detect it as forged from and will block it. you have to use your email address (the address of the site owner which is hosted on your server) as from address.

3. tfboy

tfboy Member

Thanks Till, that makes sense.
    Now to find out how to do that :)