Kernel Panic - Not Syncing : Attempt to kill init!

Discussion in 'Kernel Questions' started by Rock, Jun 6, 2006.

1. Rock

Rock New Member

Hi,

I followed the perfect setup for CentOS and upon yum update (right at the beginning after OS installed) and doing a reboot I got this error message.

Unable to find volume group "VolGroup00"
    ERROR: /bin/lvm exited abnormally (pid 213)
    mount: error 6 mounting ext3
    mount: error 2 mounting none
    switchroot: mount failed: 22
    umount: /initrd/dev failed: 2
    Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I got a P4 32bit machine running and adaptec 1420 SATA2 raid controller card. Use automatic disk partitioning with LVM and 2000MB of swap space.

This is the third time I got the error after 3 reinstallations. Strange thing is that during one of my earlier installation, it was okie. Not sure if I selected any different options or package or did a step differently.

Anyone can shed a little light to this? Thanks in advance.

linux rocks!

2. Rock

Rock New Member

Just to give a bit more details, adaptec 1420 SATA2 Raid is not supported by CentOS by default, I have compiled and driver disk.

While running yum update, I notice there are a couple of kernel related updates. (Not sure if the kernel I have in my cd is the latest since I download it 5-6 weeks ago.) I wonder if the Raid driver died because of the kernel update?

How can I tell? How do I troubleshoot this issue?
    I am a newbie, thus any suggestions and advice will be appreciated.

rock

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That might be. Do you use a ramdisk? Is the RAID driver included in there?

4. Rock

Rock New Member

Pardon me, but what is a Ramdisk? Where is it suppose to be located? How can I check it now that CentOS cannot boot up?

5. falko

A RAMdisk is a kind of image of your kernel that includes file system drivers etc. needed at boot time that would normally be loaded too late (it's akind of botstrapping problem).
    What's the output of
    Code:
    ls -la /boot
    ?

6. Rock

Rock New Member

While troubleshooting, chance upon this site which I thought might be useful for anyone facing the same issue. It has the steps to recompile kernel.

http://www.digitalhermit.com/linux/Kernel-Build-HOWTO.html#CONFIGURATION-2-6

Back to my problem, tried re-running everything all over again. This is the output of the yum update.

How should I go about tackling this problem?
    1. exculde kernel packages in all updates?
    2. rebuild kernel with the driver each time I update?
    3. others?

Is there any ways to solve the issue permanently?

7. falko

I'd try to rebuild the kernel manually with the newest kernel sources.

8. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

hi there. i have nearly the same problem w/ Linux Fedora Core 5. (screen shot of viewing the drive from another, working FC5. i don't know if this "means" anything. on Win, i might meansomething more to me-- ie-- the MBR is gone or something, but i don't know anything about how the Filesystem can or can not be destroyed: http://tinyurl.com/qdfrm )

why destroyed? my problem seems to be a result of commandline operations in which i attempted to move files while using the dot-slash-asterisk shortcut
    Code:
    [root@localhost usr]# mv -vf /usr/lib/mozilla/* /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.13/* 
    was instead typed as:
    ..usr]# cd /usr/lib/mozilla-1.7.13
    [root@local mozilla-1.7.13]# mv ./mozilla/* ./*
    note that very last part. beyond there, i lost all command line function. (ie. @locahost /]# ls -l error: there is no such directory / no such bash command, etc)
    so, i restarted, and ended up w/ this Kernal panic.

since i have no way of getting into "anything" (except grub, and i do have the "rescue disk")-- how do i go about "fixing" this problem? meaing-- i hear all this about "recompile the Kernel"... that's fine, but From where? the Grub command line? i just don't understand where i'm supposed to be executing commands at this point. if i can figure that out, i'll probably be okay-- or at least able to try stuff. right now, i'm lookin' at the grub> and i know not what to do.
    btw: standalone FC5 40GB . it had an xp drive slaved from /mnt/windows/ at the time of malfucntion, but i can't see that would have an effect.

thanks!

9. falko

It seems you have erased everything on your hard disk. I think the best is to do a clean reinstall.

10. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

actually, not the case. further investigation today using the rescue disk again proved that all of my data is still there. i used the:
    Code:
    ..sh# linux restore 
    from the commandline utility on the rescue disk. browsing through there, i had an option to look for the location of my "driver image" (or some such drivers/ files ... i forget the true name), and i saw all of my stuff in those directories-- including both original partitions made by the original install. i browsed down through those folders, and sure enough-- my directories are visible.

although, i would otherwise have been inclinded to agree w/ you based on the thought that renaming the ./* would do who-knows-what kind of damage.

i was advised elsewhere to mount the drive and see what i could do from there. based on what you can see from my screen capture, how do i go about "safely" mounting that drive (read-only maybe?) so i can at least get a better look at it? i'm assuming the screen shot shows an "unmounted" drive?
    EDIT: in case it's not been mentioned, i'm on FC5 now, just a different hard drive-- and the "faulty drive" is attached as "slave"

thanks!!

11. falko

You could boot from a Knoppix Live-CD ( http://www.knoppix.org/ ) - it automatically mounts the hard drives in read mode, so you could attach a USB HDD and save your data to the USB hard drive, and afterwards I'd simply reinstall the whole system.

12. jsabarese

jsabarese New Member

so, this is something i want to ensure is done in a "read-only" mode?

if so, why? what would be the consequences otherwise?

EDIT: BTW, thanks for the resourceful idea. it's unfortunate however that the amount of data vs size of my USB media renders that particular solution impractical-- but at least i know the option is there! ;)

I do happen to have an Ubuntu CD-ROM (newest... dapper dan i think), and i'm pretty sure it runs as a LIVE cd. would that be sufficient for the same purpose?

Last edited: Sep 21, 2006
  13. falko

I think so, but if you don't have enough space on your USB media it's useless as well...