LAMP, DNS, ISPConfig and .....

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by xer, Dec 14, 2006.

1. xer

xer New Member

I would appreciate if someone could guide me how to resolve the following situation.

I have just installed the LAMP server with ISPConfig. I have some registered domains and ip addresses.

- I want to have my own name servers. Can someone show me step by step on how to build DNS servers so I can have like NS1.mydomain.com and NS2.mydomain.com?
    - I also want to let my resellers to use their own name servers like NS1.reseller1.com and NS2.reseller1.com for hosting their client sites. How do I do it?

I did read through forums over the WWW (such as go daddy name server setting and etc...) but I still could not figure it out correctly.

I believe your contribution will also be appreciated by many other linux lovers.

Please advise me.

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

1) Nameserver:

http://www.howtoforge.com/ispconfig_dns_godaddy

This howto is for godaddy but it is generally the same with any other registrar.

2) Create the A-Records for NS1.reseller1.com and NS2.reseller1.com and then your resellers can start using them.

3. xer

xer New Member

Thanks for the response.

I mentioned that I had tried the Godaddy tutorial and some similar guides over the www.

I also have domains with Godaddy service but I still could not find the "Point to ip address" in Godaddy domain manager. Current version does not have it, I think. I only see the name server fields. I get errors when I put ip address in "forward/redirect" field of Godaddy domain manager. Besides that, what I am trying to do is "setting up my own name servers" instead of using Godaddy or anyone else.

Can someone help me please?

Thanks.

4. till

You can not use forward or redirect, this wont work for apache namebased vhosts!

If you want to setup your own DNS server, you must have two servers with different IP addresses and each of the servers must have a hostname that is already registered in DNS. The hostname of the dns servers can not be configured in these DNS servers.

5. cap10kirk

cap10kirk New Member

DNS servers

Can the 2 DNS servers be on one box?

6. till

Generally yes, but it depends on your domain registry if they allow you creating DNS records where ns1 and ns2 are pointing to the same nameserver instance, even if the server has 2 IP addresses.

7. cap10kirk

cap10kirk New Member

I eventually would want to have my own DNS, once I gain some experience, and understand what I'm doing. But right now I am having GODADDY.com run the dns. It seems to be working out for me.