Let us talk about hardware/servers

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by CyberspaceX, Sep 26, 2021.

1. CyberspaceX

CyberspaceX Member

Hello... let us talk about hardware specifications and servers... For example I like to use the ISPConfig Perfect Multiserver setup on Ubuntu 20.04 and Debian 10 and that's every server is a own physical dedicated server...

So we need: 7 own dedicated servers with a own IP... Happy shopping... :D

If you buy a PC for your home... maybe for gaming... than always bigger is better... best Mainboard... best CPU... best best best...

But how the hardware gurus here choose a server? What is important for a panel server or name server? What you need for a mail or db server?

I think a name server must be fast with high CPU and a lot of RAM but he need no disk space... a mail server needs a lot of disk space and the db server too...

Would be nice to see / know how the pro players here setting up a network...

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

It depends on your budget most of the time.

3. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Name server uses very little resources. Raspberry PI is enough.
    If you have connections to corporations running server farms, ask if they donate their old servers. Even 10 year old server may be in excellent condition for not so demanding use.
    Otherwise, search for local used computer dealers. Servers may be cheaper than new desktop computers. If you get server with enough RAM and fast disk system, install virtualization server like Proxmox and create virtual hosts according to your needs.

4. CyberspaceX

CyberspaceX Member

I dont wont to speak about the budget or the financial part... just the Hardware... I just ask what is a good hardware setup for the Multiserver tutorial...

5. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Then buy the best servers with the highest specs available because your question is no longer important if one can afford the best servers with the highest specs as that is "good hardware". :p

6. CyberspaceX

CyberspaceX Member

This sounds good for nameservers... I was always sure a nameserver need some power because a lot of requests... what is about a mailserver?

7. Taleman

Depends on how much mail and users the e-mail server gets. And on what else is running on that e-mail server.
    I have a setup with separate web and e-mail servers, and three name servers. E-mail server is running as virtual client on Proxmox, with 2 cores, 6 GB RAM and 240 GB disk.

8. CyberspaceX

CyberspaceX Member

Sorry for my stupid questions but im new and don't understand the mulitserver setup completely... in the case your mail server is full.. you setup than a new DB Server and ISPConfig use automatically the new DB Space... or you need to setup a new mail server and separate the users...?!
    Is it possible to share some analytics data to see the load balance with maybe 1 - 10 - 1000 xxx users...

9. Taleman

Full in what sense?
    I am not sure what that means but I would guess doing that is not a good idea. If using virtualization, and the host system has unused disk space, the virtual disk of the quest system can be made bigger and size issue is solved easily.
    Sure, if someone has that kind of data. I would guess something like that is available somewhere already.
    If you need to provision a computer system suitable for the particular load your use case causes, you need to quantify the estimated load in your use case.