Let's Encrypt 2 ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by sjau, Oct 28, 2015.

1. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

wildcard entry at dns level does not work for the Let's Encrypt.

* IN CNAME domain.tld --> not work
    www.dru IN CNAME domain.tld --> works

2. sjau

but if you don't need to the www.dru.designfyn.dk then just alter your website and change autosub from "www" to "none"

3. felan

felan Member HowtoForge Supporter

4. felan

felan Member HowtoForge Supporter

Do you have a method to set up a cron job for renewal?

5. sjau

haven't thought about that yet :)

6. sjau

Btw, added some renewal option but still need to do more work on that.

7. Nemis

Nemis Member

look at line 969+
    https://github.com/letsencrypt/letsencrypt/blob/master/letsencrypt/cli.py
    Code:
        helpful.add_group(
            "automation",
            description="Arguments for automating execution & other tweaks")
        helpful.add(
            "automation", "--keep-until-expiring", "--keep", "--reinstall",
            dest="reinstall", action="store_true",
            help="If the requested cert matches an existing cert, always keep the "
                 "existing one until it is due for renewal (for the "
                 "'run' subcommand this means reinstall the existing cert)")
    look like may cron-launch LE every 3/5/10 days with --keep-until-expiring and if it will soon expire it will autorenew. or not?

8. dark alex

dark alex New Member

Will try to integrate this soon - sorry have to do 2 posts to publish my dnssec-patch here :(

9. sjau

no idea about dnssec :)

10. dark alex

dark alex New Member

11. huyhoangbeetour

huyhoangbeetour New Member

Do you have a method to set up a cron job for renewal?

12. sjau

13. sjau

Ok, some updates today:

- fixed that it won't try to update the "live" folder as domain, but only subfolder
    - added option to set renewal in the config
    - added option to set webroot folder (currently only for apache -> https://github.com/sjau/le2ispc/issues/13
    - fixed a few other things

Also:
    Let's Encrypt did up the amount of registrations to 500 per 3hours (https://community.letsencrypt.org/t/rate-limits-for-lets-encrypt/6769). So I did test the current renewal process and it worked fine for all but 1 domain. For one domain it claims: "There were too many requests of a given type :: Error creating new cert :: Too many certificates already issued for: domain.tld".
    Checking my list I still have a few subdomains that I updated today also. So it seems the limit of "5 certificates per domain per week" still is there.

Summary:
    The tool seems to work fine this far.

Jesse Norell likes this.
  14. Nap

Nap Member

Thanks sjau, Till, Falko and the others who've looked at this.

Nice work, can't wait to see it integrated into a stable release! I'm going to have a look at the script you've posted on your github account.

I have a couple questions in the mean time about the automation of this process:
    1) How will aliase domains be handled? Say <domain.com.au> which redirects to <domain.com>
    2) How will inactive sites be handled?

Cheers,
    Nap

15. sjau

I don't use aliases or inactive sites. As of now, you have to run for each domain the script once manually with my tool. Ok, you could make a list and run for each of them.
    REgarding aliases... hmmm, I'd have to look. Since LE support SNI you could probably ask for domain.com.au and domain.com in the same cert. then it should also work but I'll need to look up on that.

16. Nap

Nap Member

I think all this information can be collected from ISPConfig, and used to drive the script.
    (This would also include sub-domains).

17. sjau

It can be. As for subdomains, currently you'll have to run the script for each sub individually. What I did is include the www if there's a www-variant. It could be that you don't want ssl on all subs so I only run it on the sub/domain that I want. However a check for inactive domains and domain aliases should be possible. Let me work on that.

18. Sir Henry

Sir Henry Member

That is not quite true. You can run the command for a main domain plus multiple subdomains, and you will get ONE certificate with alternate names for each subdomain:
    Code:
    le2ispc main.tld sub1.main.tld sub2.main.tld ...

19. sjau

20. sjau

I forgot about that because I don't use it like that. However, will the ssl certs be uploaded to all the specified subs? I'll need to check on that again.