Lets encrypt is activated on domains and works on websites but not email

Discussion in 'ISPConfig 3 Priority Support' started by Paul Hill, Aug 2, 2018.

1. Paul Hill

Paul Hill Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hostname is correct , the LE cert did generate ok , the website works . It's the making of the links etc for the interface and email links that messes up . What's the next thing to check ?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The commands you posted use the hostname -f command to get the hostname and according to your ls output, hostname -f returns something that contains a whitespace. Please run the command:

hostname -f

and post the result.

3. Paul Hill

OK after lots of experimenting and rolling back the VM each time it broke here is the deal .

hostname -f : this gives a response of "Mars2.ibcbrantford.com"

hostname : this gives a response of "mars.ibcbrantford.com"

Yes one response DOES have an Upper case "M" , no spaces .

This server was a VM I downloaded from this site , we changed the hostname on it obviously and also passwords etc .
    We then purchased your migration tool and migrated another of your servers to this one .

I managed to get it work by being specific with cert location as follows :

cd /usr/local/ispconfig/interface/ssl/
    mv ispserver.crt ispserver.crt-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    mv ispserver.key ispserver.key-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    mv ispserver.pem ispserver.pem-$(date +"%y%m%d%H%M%S").bak
    ln -s /etc/letsencrypt/live/ibcbrantford.com/fullchain.pem ispserver.crt
    ln -s /etc/letsencrypt/live/ibcbrantford.com/privkey.pem ispserver.key
    cat ispserver.{key,crt} > ispserver.pem
    chmod 600 ispserver.pem

4. Paul Hill

I also ran the code to link the post fix to this .

Email SE SSL certs now work , interestingly the interface for ISPconfig does not work without the cert warnings that it had before even though the cert shows as the SE cert .

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Did you examine further why hostname is wonky?

6. Paul Hill

I have not , the most important thing was the get SSL for email working , now I can try and figure out what's up with the hostname setup. It may well be because I didn't rename it properly when We started using the VM . Is there a specific way to do this to a VM that I missed maybe ?

7. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

If hostname is changed with command hostname and /etc/hosts is modified I can not at the moment remember more places where it is written. Except setup files for various applications.

8. Paul Hill

I think that's exactly what I did , I think I also ran the updater for ISPconfig and recreated the Self signed certificates too but I cant confirm that :(

Apologies for my ignorance I have a terrible time remembering due to a head injury when I was younger , the best way for me to learn is consistent repetition, anything I seldom do simply gets forgotten. :mad:

9. till

Check these locations for the correct hostname:

/etc/hosts
    /etc/hostname
    /etc/mailname
    /etc/postfix/main.cf

The file /etc/mailname exists on Ubuntu and Debian only.

When these are all correct and in lowercase, then reboot the server to apply it.

10. Paul Hill

Just a quick note to let you know all is well , everything is working - thanks for all your help ..
    One small question , I know the cert runs out in Oct 2018 , is it possible to check the auto renewal before that date so I don't run into any problems when the time comes ?
    Thanks

11. till

LE certs get renewed automatically. And when you followed the LE tutorial, then you should have a script in place that takes care to rebuild the combined cert.

12. Paul Hill

the LE certificate was applied by clicking on the box in the options for the website , it then automated the setup so I'm assuming this should be ok ?
    We use ispconfig Version: 3.1.11
    Thanks

13. till

Yes, that's ok. But you must have installed the le_ispc_pem.sh script as described in the tutorial as well.