Letsencrypt + 3.1 + Nginx + Postfix + Dovecot

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by J.U., May 3, 2016.

1. J.U.

J.U. New Member

Can somebody please prime me on some basic facts about how to set up LE certs for Ispconfig 3.1 + Nginx + Postfix + Dovecot? I'm on Debian 9 and I'm trying to achieve something similar to the "Perfect Server"
    1. git or deb package for LE?
    2. Will 'letsencrypt-auto' be good enough before deploying Ispconfig if I want certs to be issued for www and e-mail (one domain just for the server to start with)?
    3. OR should I specify the right options from command line by hand? Please suggest some basic ones.
    Sorry for asking very basic questions, but I could find a manual or howto covering my set-up.

2. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

If you follow the howto for the Jessie 8.4 installation that was published on the 29th you should get it all working.

Jesse Norell likes this.
  3. J.U.

J.U. New Member

@sjau Thanks for your reply. I just completed installation, mainly following the guide for Jessie 8.4. I am able to access the CP, but not everything has been configured correctly. The certs are not working and not many services have been activated within the CP. Could it be because I hadn't pointed the mail records to the server? I attach some files. Please advise how I can fix the installation. Or should I start the whole process anew?

Attached Files:

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Did you point DNS for the domains (eg. "www.domain.com") to your ispconfig server? You can't obtain letsencrypt certificates without changing the live DNS.

5. J.U.

J.U. New Member

I am back to configuring my server again and still struggling to have certs and email working.
    Perhaps my dns settings are not correct for the perfect sever?
    Code:
    *    A    37.247.53.202   
    eastcentral.eu.    A    37.247.53.202   
    ftp    A    37.247.53.202   
    localhost    A    127.0.0.1   
    mail    A    37.247.53.202   
    poczta    A    37.247.53.202   
    s1    A    37.247.53.202   
    webmail    A    37.247.53.202   
    www    A    37.247.53.202   
    eastcentral.eu.    NS    ns1.futurehost.pl.   
    eastcentral.eu.    NS    ns2.futurehost.pl.   
    mail    MX    10

6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

if that is the complete set of records for eastcentral.eu, your email is not working because you don't have any MX records for the domain itself. You have an mx record for the 'mail' subdomain, which is incomplete (possibly mis-paste), but nothing for the domain.
    That won't affect getting a letsencrypt certificate though, as long as your ispconfig webserver is 37.247.53.202, dns is fine for that (both the domain and 'www' have A records).

7. J.U.

J.U. New Member

Thanks Jesse. I should have said that I was trying to use my registrar's NS (futurehost.pl).
    Please have a look at my other post here. I have some further questions regarding dns.

8. J.U.

J.U. New Member

Does it look like a correctly installed "Perfect Server"?
    [​IMG]
    How can I verify what went wrong?