letsencrypt renewal fails

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ac15, Feb 8, 2023.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Try unticking Let's encrypt checkbox for the affected site, save, enable it again, save.

ac15 likes this.
  2. ac15

ac15 Member

i did that several times already, doesn't help. i even did what i learned earlier in this thread, enabled debug and ran server.sh manually. one of the certs ran out last week, the other one in early february. and yet, acme insists that it's not yet time to renew the cert until sometime in may. can't i just delete the cert files themselves to force a re-issue?

3. till

You can use certbot delete command to remove it and then reissue it by disabling and re-enabling it.

4. ac15

ac15 Member

pardon my ignorance, but do you mean like this?
    and then just dis- and re-enable via the ispconfig checkbox?

btw. i did just that, revoked/removed and deleted the cert files from /root/.acme.sh/website.net. it didn't help. after reactivating, the site still gets a certificate that ran out one week ago. i don't get it.

update. two sites don't get new certs. one site and it's aliasdomain get another security warning, the cert's appearently not valid for them, but for the (placeholder) aaa.serverurl.com domain. the rest of the websites got new, working certificates that were generated today (when i migrated the sites). i guess this must be some spam-protection from letsencrypt or something? i really have no idea. it has always worked, now it doesn't, and i have not the slightest clue how to fix it.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2023
  5. till

ac15 likes this.
  6. ac15

ac15 Member

just a final update in case someone else lands here:
    the problem was that the site that received the wrong certificate had an alias-domain defined in ispconfig.
    this alias-domain was correctly configured in dns, but it was missing the "IN A" entry for "www.", which ispconfig automatically tried to generate.
    i updated the dns record to include the www-entry and 20 minutes later, everything works just fine..