Linux 12.04 File Server & Software RAID

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by danhansen@denmark, Aug 18, 2014.

1. danhansen@denmark

danhansen@denmark Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi Friends,

I've been fiddling with Linux for almost 2 years, but I've never set up an Ubuntu File Server. I want to have a RAID made of 2 harddrives and the system running on a SSD. I thought to myself, that keeping the system on a disk (bootdisk) and the RAID for itself, should make things a little easier to set up.
    I've been reading and I learned that it's posible to make e.g. a RAID 1 using to harddrives only. Then to setup e.g. 10% of each disk for the file system and then the rest of both drives for the rest. But, I'm asking all of you if it isn't a god idea to keep the RAID area on two disk for the "file's/data" and then the 12.04 OS on this disk for itself!?
    I'm not sure which RAID I will be running, but I think I want a "mirror" so that if one disk fails, the files will be accesible while getting a new disk (from my drawer:) and then I just have to plug in a new disk and everything goes on like before...peeewie ;)

Please help me get started :eek:

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

You can use RAID 1 with 2 hardisks. Please refer the tutorial.

3. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

Why not run completely raid1? because you only get half of the diskspace from both disks?

4. danhansen@denmark

Hi srijan,

Thanks. I'll take a look.

Hi sjau,

I want security, never mind the space ;)

5. sjau

sjau Local Meanie Moderator

raid doesn't provide security... just redundancy...

I run 3x 4TB disks in Raid1.... so I only have 4 TB available but 2 drives can fail and it still works :)

6. danhansen@denmark

Hi Sjau,

OK then... I know what it is short of ;) For me it's security, having 2 disks running the same data (RAID1) and then if a disk fails, data is still accessible!! Then you just "feed it" with a new disk and everything is like before ;) That's security for me. :)

What I wanted to know was the best way to do it. It's a 2U Rackmounted Case, and I only have room for 2 frontloaded harddisk boxes. So I wanted to find out, which is the best way to make such a RAID. Is it to install the system files on a separate diskdrive (there's room for internal diskdrive's) or install the system/OS on the disk's in RAID1...

It's proberly best to install it the on the disk's running RAID. Why not. The only reason I wasn't sure, is because I like the idea of the disks only being used for the files/data which is important for me and then keep the system elsewhere. I will need to split up up areas of the disks to install the system/OS. That's the reason I asked.

Do any of you know if it's possible to do it the way I suggested? To have the OS on a disk and then make a RAID1 on two other disks? The RAID I'm talking about here is not hardware RAID. It's Ubuntu software RAID

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014