Linux and Cybersec; Where to Start?

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Cameron McCarty, May 7, 2021.

1. Cameron McCarty

Cameron McCarty New Member

Hey all,
    I am interested in the field of cyber security. While I have studied concepts surrounding cyber security for the last couple of years, such as threat modeling or formulating an incident response plan, the tools of cyber security is where I am a beginner. I need to learn more about scripting and really brush up on the Linux terminal. I have a Kali Linux VM on my PC and I know it has a lot of tools for ethical hacking and penetration testing. Aside from getting hands on with Kali Linux what resources could you recommend to help get up to speed on the terminal and scripting?

Thanks in advance!
    Cam

2. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It probably depends on what you're doing, some people just need to use existing tools (eg. fire up a Kali VM, run something and see what the report/outpus says), other folks need/want to understand how things work, eg. to create or integrate tools into a system, learn to configure services and secure systems, etc.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

There was no mention of PHP 5.6 on this thread. Why do you bring it up? Perhaps posted on wrong thread?

6. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The user was a spam user :)

ahrasis likes this.