Linux Configuration files

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by RioAlvin, May 26, 2021.

1. RioAlvin

RioAlvin New Member

I've been looking into Linux configuration files and I came across Global config files and Local Config files. Can anyone explain the benefits that comes with using the Local file versus the Global file.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I've used linux for quite a while, and don't really have any idea what you'd be referring to, other than in the context of a specific application or environment; what's a specific example you have in mind?

3. RioAlvin

RioAlvin New Member

I worded the previous post poorly. I did some more digging and realized the configuration file file is a local file that controls program operation. It also says that configuration files are better off stored in a subdirectory for /etc. So I want to know the difference between storing configuration files
    in a subdirectory instead of the main directory for /etc.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

5. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Probably not much, other than the obvious (if a program has more than one config file, keeping them in a subdirectory would reduce the number of entries in /etc, so maybe a little easier to see what various files pertain to a program). With a little searching I imagine you could find folks arguing pretty earnestly over such an issue, and explaining the reasons one (probably subdirectories) is better than the other.

RioAlvin likes this.
  6. RioAlvin

RioAlvin New Member

Thank you for your help.

7. RioAlvin

RioAlvin New Member

8. Chris_UK

Chris_UK Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Main config files can be overridden by a user level config file if that's what you mean.

/etc/someconf could be overridden by /home/user/.someconf if the program was looking in /home/user for the file .someconf

That relies on two main things, does the program look for more than one config file, EG in /etc and users home. Secondly, does the program recognise the actual config you are trying to change, not all options be changed at a user level and not all programs even accept a user level configuration.