LINUX DRAWBACKS

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Charlotte Appiah, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Charlotte Appiah

Charlotte Appiah New Member

What are the 3 major things you will consider as drawbacks in Linux? I'm just wondering.

2. ice freeze

ice freeze New Member

using VI editor is really confusing,using TTY and understanding absolute paths.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Use nano instead.

On a modern Linux Desktop, you can do all common tasks using GUI tools.

Is this really so much different to other OS like MacOS or Windows?

Here are some points:

- Drivers might be not available for less common or very new hardware. That's mostly an issue on Desktop systems and not so much in the server area where Linux is probably the most widely used OS these days.
    - Your business or profession might require some special software that's not available for Linux or you might want to play computer games that are not available for Linux.

4. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

yep, vi is bloody confusing, it's a very powerful editor with lots of options/shortcuts. but that said, you can get away with just using the basics, cursor keys to move around, / and ? to search forwards/backwards, x to delete character, dd to delete a lne, i to insert, r to overwrite 1 character, ctrl+r to overwrite continuously. :w to save, :q! to quit without saving, :wq to save and quit, all those commands are enough to create/edit any file, you don't need anything else, although :%s to search and replace is probably the next most useful.
    but if you're willing to learn even just some of the other commands/shortcuts, they can really save you a lot of time and effort editing files.

there's plenty of tutorials, like vimtutor, openvim, you can even install pacvim, or play https://vim-adventures.com/

5. ice freeze

ice freeze New Member

Thanks bro for tutorials web site , kind of new learning VI , and thanks everyone for expressing your knowledge on the items of concern. Ice freeze

6. ice freeze

ice freeze New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 15, 2021
  7. ice freeze

ice freeze New Member

Great points you made, ice freeze

8. ice freeze

ice freeze New Member

wil do , but is nano as good as Emacs GNU ?

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

How would a new Linux user even know there is an editor named vi? Seems strange to complain vi is difficult to use. However, if complaining about vi is considerd valid, then I say there is ed available on Windows, and that is even more difficult to use.
    Its GNU Emacs and comparing nano and GNU Emacs is a bit silly, they are meant for quite different use cases. I use Emacs and on servers without GUI I use jed. I learned the hotkeys during the previous millennium and have not bothered to learn other editors.
    Use Internet Search Engines to find more info on editor wars.

10. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Nano is easier to use than vi for a novice user.