Linux Server

Discussion in 'Linux Beginners' started by Ron Humphrey, Jan 20, 2022.

1. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

I am new to Linux and currently taking a class to learn more. One of the assignments is to come to this forum and ask a question. I manage a network with 6 servers and about 90 desktops/laptops all windows based. I am curious if anyone here has set up a Linux server in a Windows AD domain and what flavor did you use and what purpose is the server used for? I am thinking about a DNS server in the environment I manage. Any input would be helpful.

2. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

3. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

I currently have two DNS servers on the network. A Server 2012 box and a Server 2019 box. At some point I want to retire the Server 2012 box and still want to have two DNS servers. Looks like Pi-hole wants to be the only DNS server to function as an add blocker.

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, that's correct.

5. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I find that rather annoying. Could you please ask the teacher to stop giving that assignment? Or ask him / her why this assignment?
    My signature has link to DNS setup, two servers with ISPConfig.

Ron Humphrey likes this.
  6. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I agree the typical, "I'm posting because that's our assignment" posts are frustrating - this particular post was not as much as usual. I can certainly see the value in getting new linux users involved in some community where they can get help when needed (that's what we're all doing here), but "what distribution is the best?" and "how will I ever learn all these commands?" type questions should be avoided. Maybe the instructor(s) could be asked to give some guidance on the type of questions to ask - things which have concrete answers, demonstrate some effort has been made towards resolution, are less open-ended and less philosophical.

Sure reminds me of the classic http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html - which could certainly be made part of the assignment (read that page, then go undertake some linux-related objective until you find a problem for which you are unable to find the answer yourself, and then go post a smart question in the appropriate forum).

Ron Humphrey likes this.
  7. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

I will copy all of the replies and post them for my assignment. This class is though Canvas and is online only. I find all of the discussions required in the Canvas IT classes have little to no value to me. I would prefer more hands on labs in their virtual environment.

8. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

I would like to incorporate a Linux into the current network I manage. I just don't yet understand enough about it to know what function it can take over.

9. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ron Humphrey likes this.
  10. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

thank you

11. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That depends on what your in-house requirements are, but on the other side, when running a linux shop, there is rarely if ever a need for a Windows system, so it "can" take over almost any service. Linux does well as a web server, unless you require windows-specific scripting languages or such. It makes a good database server unless you require MS-SQL. It makes a very nice mail server unless you require various Exchange features. Repeat for file servers, directory services, desktops and workstations, dhcp server, syslog server, voice servers, streaming services, caching, proxies, network access/control, etc. We have around here one windows server to run our billing software (not my choice, I would change billing systems) and one to run a specific cable plant management software, which was the best option at the time we were looking and it required windows. But even old DOS based software we need to interface with specific hardware has been happy running in an emulator on linux for years.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2022
    Ron Humphrey likes this.
  12. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

thank you

13. Ron Humphrey

Ron Humphrey New Member

This is the actual assignment text. Many Colleges use the same system fir the Linux Administration class.

Visit the website, HOWTO Forge (https://www.howtoforge.com/) and use one of their forums to discuss a recent Linux-related problem you have had or post a question on a specific Linux configuration. Monitor the forum for 2-3 days to see what kind of responses you receive.

Next, go to the discussion board in your school’s LMS (learning management system). Write a brief description of your experience in the forum and discuss what you learned. Then respond to two of your classmates’ threads with minimum 50-word posts discussing their comments and ideas. Use complete sentences and check your grammar and spelling.

With this being a beginners level Linux class (designed to prep for the Linux+ certification) I doubt many in-depth technical questions will come from it.

14. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Interesting. I never thought that this forum is used as part of a learning process for some institutions.