Lock SFTP user into home dir in samba environment

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by papaqube, Apr 29, 2006.

1. papaqube

papaqube New Member

Hi Guys n girls

I wonder if you can help me?

I have set up a file server with SFTP access and I want to lock remote users from a local group named public-ftp into there home directory (/home/public). At the moment when i access the server from sftp client, i can browse up to the root folder and into others.

I have done a google and chroot jail seems to be an option, however it does not seem to be secure. Can anyone shed any light as to whether this is a viable option, the folder will only be used fro file storage. Or if there is an alternative way. :confused:

The /home/public is also a samba share in an environment where sercurity = ADS and password server = ADS DC. There are no conflicts with this config at the moment, ADS domain users have read/write and local public-ftp have read only access.

Many Thanks

PQ :confused:

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. papaqube

papaqube New Member

Hi Falko

Thanks for the pointers.

As my linux experience is limited (I am from a win 98 generation and point and click is all i no, altho i have a willingness to learn), i thought the best way to approach setting up a chroot user is through your 'CHROOTED SSH HOWTO'.

After doing so i have had little success in signing into sftp as the (chrooted) testuser:

# sftp testuser@localhost
    Connecting to localhost...
    /etc/ssh/ssh_config line 41: Unsupported option "GSSAPIAuthentication"
    testuser@localhost's password:
    Request for subsystem 'sftp' failed on channel 0
    Couldn't read packet: Connection reset by peer

However i can sign on to sftp as non-chroot user. Do you no if there is any way diagnose, or if others have had success with this how on Fedora 4.

Many Thanks, PQ

PS Great site, i am finding a library of knowledge in learning all about linux and its community.

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Unfortunately I don't know if this tutorial works for SFTP as my focus was on chrooted SSH...

5. papaqube

papaqube New Member

Hi Faklo

No problem. Thanks alot for your help anyway. I will endevour to motor on.