log directory filling up webspace

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by jmroth, Feb 2, 2006.

1. jmroth

jmroth New Member

What old logfiles can I get rid of?

Just look at the following:

Code:
    /home/www# du -s web72/*
    384    web72/cgi-bin
    71768    web72/log
    4    web72/phptmp
    28    web72/shared
    20    web72/ssl
    4    web72/user
    5804    web72/web

Note that the customer is not primarily responsible for his web (filesystem group) filling up....

Can I chown the logfiles? Are they still needed/Can I delete them?

Regards,
    ~jm

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I wouldn't delete log files for the current month, but of course you can delete the old log files.

3. jmroth

jmroth New Member

Would it be bad to just chown the logfiles to root or some other account without quota? What exactly happens to those files?

In that case I don't need to hurry deleting them as I have a lot of space and they won't affect the user/group's quota either?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The files where chowned back to the user automatically each night by the logsplit script.

The logsplit script appends the log data each night to the file. Afterwards the webalizer script analyzes the logfile and creates the stats.

You can chown them to e.g. root, but then you will have to tweak the logs.php script that it does not chown the files back to the website user.

UPDATE:
    ---------------------------------------
    Just recognized that i havent read your post to the end. My solution is for the logfile of the current month. Older logfiles can be chowned without problems and changing anything in the logs.php file :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006