logs in wrong location + fix

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by durchd8.de, Oct 21, 2015.

1. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

<Deleted so nobody does it by mistake>

Last edited: Oct 21, 2015
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The correct log location is /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/{mainURL}/ and not /var/www/{mainURL}/log/, so what you did is just damaging your system instead of fixing something. The path /var/www/{mainURL}/log/ is a bind mount in /etc/fstab pointing to /var/log/ispconfig/httpd/{mainURL}/. If the bind mount is not working then your linux system did not run all mounts from fstab or you removed the config that ispconfig added there.

If your system did not applied the mounts after a reboot, run just:

mount -a

3. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

Yet the logrotate according docs is only working on the /var/www/{mainURL}/log/ directories since ispconfig does its own logrotate.

So either way its killing? Just had a long read about your remarks in forum in regards to log rotates

4. till

If you think that you know ISPConfig better than its lead developer, the leave your modification as it is but don't complain later when your system is broken.

5. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

Since one update (around May) those are no mounts and new sites dont get mounts either it seems?

6. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

Thats not the point at all - sorry if ya got the impression. I went through a heap of replies on that by you over the last 6 years.

Back to logs:
    Those links are fixed - yet why are the fstab settings lost since May :/ And how are those set?

7. till

No problems on any of my server and the client systems that I maintain. Are the mount points listed in /etc/fstab?

8. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

Nope not listed in etc/fstab and actually I didnt mess with it either so far...

9. till

Check that the fatal is not immutable. Is this a visit so that some other software might have removed the lines?

10. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

fstab.md is not immutable

So might be other software - aye. How to fix the mounts?

11. till

You can rebuild the fstab with the attached script.

Attached Files:

12. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

/etc/fstab is a symlink on fstab.md -secured fstab

So changes needed to be done to fstab.md
    --

13. till

Which OS do you use?

14. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

CentOS7

15. till

Just checked on a CentOS 7 perfect server, the fstab file is not a symlink here:

[root@server2 ~]# ls -la /etc/fstab
    -rw-r--r--. 1 root root 819 Oct 28 22:03 /etc/fstab

So I guess you must have installed some additional packages which replaces fstab with a symlink and causes this error on your server.

16. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

So far I could track it down to the installation time of ispconfig3, which was 11th of January 2015. Thats when the symbolic link was set. System itself was a raw CentOS7 - install from official releases.
    • selinux? Didnt find anything there. (selinux is actually disabled)
    • lvm? I doubt it ... didnt find anything either
    • software Raid 1?
    Hard link fstab.md to fstab? Or plain copy fstab.md to fstab? Actually hardlink should fix it for ispconfig.

17. till

Actually I don't know what might cause this as I haven't had the issue yet.

Both options should work. But you might want to try to google what fstab.md is and which software creates it and the symlink to better understand the implications of both options.

18. durchd8.de

durchd8.de Member

No real find on fstab.md in Google or Bing, except some apparently have it too, yet no explanation on the hows and whys.

19. Pablo Gil

Pablo Gil New Member