looking for rootserver providers from germany

Discussion in 'Smalltalk' started by Ovidiu, Nov 17, 2005.

1. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

hi guys,

as I know there are severall ppl from GErmany using this board I would like to ask about your experiences with different providers.

I am using the smalles root server from strato.de but I have an old product, they changed their offer and as my contract will soon be exhausted I would like to change either the contract and stay with them or maybe even change the provider.

the thing is I say 1und1.de is offering raid1 for almost the same money, but then I realized they point out that only with their most expensive offer you will get hardware raid so I realized the cheaper solutions were )just (guessing) software raid solutions.

I would liek you to give me some impressions/suggestions about which provider you are using, maybe adding some info why you would recommend them.
    I am interested in a hardware raid1 system as that would give me some peace of mind.

2. Bruce

Bruce New Member

hi!

i use a ds3000 from hetzner - www.hetzner.de
    cheap, fast, good and a competent support!

- bruce

3. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thx,

I already looked at them but:

- you pay extra for backup space
    - only 500Gb of traffic, small compared to others
    - looks like the remote console also costs extra

if I am not mistaken...

4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Strato and 1&1 have nice and cheap offers, but one think I really hate is that they don't treat their old customers as good as new ones!
    For example, from time to time they increase the included traffic that comes with the server, but only new customers benefit from this. The traffic of old customers won't be increased!:mad: :mad: :mad:

In the (good old) past old customers always had more privileges than new ones, which is justified I think.

In the present things have changed...:( "Der Kunde ist König." war mal...

Also, be aware of the contract duration. Now you have at least 12 months contract duration at Strato and 1&1; it once was 1 month... (once upon a time...).

5. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

thats absolutely right: I am one of those old customers, been there for more than 1 1/2 year, my initial contract was (as far as i remember) 500GB/month 6 months after they changed their offer, I now get 750GB/months but if I would make a new deal with them (meaning I had to make a new deal and stay there for 1 year) I would get 1000GB/month, but I do not think it worth the hassle...

thats why I am asking for another option and sure there must be one.

@ falko
    could you have a look at the 1und1 offer? do they really offer software raid with the cheaper offers and true hardware raid1 with the most expensive one?

I'd really like to have raid1 as that would be another layer of data security - not only relying on backup then.

6. falko

Yes, the two small servers have software RAID, the two bigger ones hardware RAID.

7. domino

domino New Member

Be careful with 1and1. About this time last year, they were almost automated. From the time you send sign up to the time you break the contract. The problem there is that if you have downtime and you need to contact the NOC, they took ages (2 or 3 days) to respond to my problem. Emails hardly works or they don't really know what you are talking about. You have to call them. I suppose it's no problem if the DC was in your area. I had to call overseas to get them to reset my server after being down 4 days.

That's only my experience. I'm sure ithers have had bteer experiences. I for one will never deal with 1and1.

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Never had any problems with 1&1. After a motherboard failure I've got my server (with the old harddisk inkl. my custom linux installation) back online within 2 hours. The guys from the tech support that I've talked with had a good linux knowledge and understand what i am talking about.

9. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

does anyone have any experience with server4you.de ?

https://www.server4you.de/de/d/index.html

Looks ok, although you have only reboot in next 15 min, not imediately, reinstall in the next 2 hours,... but you can buy upgrade packages.
    Also for additional 10€ / month, after 24 months you own the server and they send it to you, sounds like a great offer to me...

10. falko

No. Each time I have a look at their web site I think that Strato and 1&1 have better offers.

But wait... Their new offers look really good... but they also have 12 months contract duration, like 1&1 and Strato...:mad:

11. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

that looks like a trend, maybe its going to be in to bind yourself to a bloodsucking company ;-))

again, I think I like their "buy your server" while renting it idea - if I decide these days to switch over, I'll post here and tell you about my experiences, although it could take me until christmas to decide...

12. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

13. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I just looked a 1ublu, they do look great in terms of webhosting, the best offers I have seen lately, talking about root servers, they look kind of ok, even offering hardware raid but as far as I see, they only offer Suse.

I think I'll wait and see if someone comes up with an installer for Debian for their servers like they did for 1und1, I am not in a hurry...

14. falko

15. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

I had a glance at your how-to when it was released, did not know what for I could use it,...

One question pops into my mind: how close in terms of hardware does my machine at home has to be to the one on the net?

I mean cloning isn't easy even with windows machines, where it is all plug and play, but if you clone to another chipset, or graphiccard, or another drastic change you can give up.
    Honestly I never tried it with a linux machine, what do the experts say?

16. falko

Shouldn't be a problem if your kernel supports a lot of hardware. But I've never tried copying an image of a 32-bit system to a 64-bit system, so you might have to test that...

17. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

what do you think about this installer script?
    http://linux.roothell.org/debian-rootie/

ppl are using it to install debian on 1und1 root server or another providers servers who do not offer debian, should be easy, I am just unsure about the partitioning...

I guess thats better than imaging from 32bit to 64bit...

18. falko

I don't know the script, but if you test it, please tell us your experience. :)

19. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

basically, you have to start the rserver in rescue mode, then the script gets a debian install over network, walks you through a lot of automated steps, asks you how you want the partitioning done, your network setting, etc... basically an automated setup, thenwhen you're done you check everything, reboot and voila its all done.

The problem is I am running very short on time so I might only test it around christmas or maybe in january but I will for sure post my results here.

20. Ovidiu

Ovidiu Active Member

it seems like I really have to change providers, today I rebooted and my system started with only 384MB ram instead of 512MB..

I called strato and they said I have to ask them to change the server, they would not exchange the ram. ...

now this would be equal to a reinstall so I thought I coudl as well changhe providers but still have not found a "good" one with acceptable prices... meanwhile the server is running with 512MB RAM again after another reboot...

I would liek to use 1blu servers but I found severall articles online (googla) saying they have big problems delivering servers that were ordered months ago. AND I think they do not have a recovery console so I cannot isntall debian - they only offer suse which I am not familiar with...

Any other suggestions?