Lost root FTP

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by lobius, Jan 16, 2015.

1. lobius

lobius Member

This morning, I woke up to find that my root FTP is not working. Only one of my FTP accounts is working and it is a low level account.

Any ideas?

I can still get into my server. My sites still work. There does not appear to be any loss of data.

I have a backup from 2 days ago. I'll do what I have to but I would very much like to avoid restoring from backup over an FTP issue.

Thank you.

I'm using the recipe from this site for a Ubuntu 12.04 LAMP server.

Pure FTP may be the culprit. I don't know.
    Welcome to Ubuntu 12.04.3 LTS (GNU/Linux 3.8.0-29-generic x86_64)

* Documentation: https://help.ubuntu.com/

System information as of Thu Jan 15 20:47:20 EST 2015

System load: 0.22 Processes: 145
    Usage of /: 50.1% of 39.25GB Users logged in: 0
    Memory usage: 67% IP address for eth0: 162.243.246.138
    Swap usage: 0%

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Normally you would not use ftp with the root user at all and it is disabled in all ftp dameons, are you sure that you dont mean SFTP (which is ssh)? Are you able to login as ssh root user?

3. lobius

lobius Member

You are correct. It is SFTP. And, yes, I should take the opportunity to break the habit of using sFTP as root.
    So, in ISPconfig3, I created a proper FTP account for managing the specific site I wanted to handle. Porch 21, plain FTP…
    I think I got a handle on it. If I don't try to set access to root: root, there is no problem with connection.

Frankly, this is news to me. Maybe ISP config was updated recently and I recently updated my server?

Regardless, I'm in a better situation now. I should make specific FTP users for specific jobs and if I need to change the ownership, I should do it at the command line.

Okay, I think I'm set. Thanks.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2015
  4. till

Please check if you use the correct username, an ftp username consts of a prefix + the actual username and you have to enter the username incl. prefix into your ftp client. The full username incl. prefix is displayed e.g. in the ftp user list in ispconfig.

5. lobius

lobius Member

I'm aware of the prefix. That's fine.

Not getting in as root feels like a problem…

I have a code library at /usr/src/codelibrary

All the files have root ownership because they are periodically executed in Cron.

If the owner and group is root, I cannot login on port 21 or my SSH port.

If the owner and group is one assigned by ISP config3, I cannot transfer new work code because the files are owned by root.

Any suggestions?

6. till

Logging in as different ftp user is not an option if you want to modify files that are owned by root and you can not gain root access by logging in as different ftp user that you created in ISPConfig.

So you are not able to login with a ssh client (e.g. putty) as root user at all in the moment? Id thats the case, does your ISP provides a rescue system that you can use to boot your server t and access the harddisk to reset the root password?

7. lobius

lobius Member

After a quick search, I found no evidence to my idea that all executed Cron files need to be root so…

I logged into the terminal and change the ownership of my code library to my main site.

Executing my newer code as we speak.