Mail configuration issue

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by bogdinator, Feb 1, 2006.

1. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

I am not quite sure whether this is an issue in my configuration of the ISPConfig or the fact of some routing/firewall settings in the university I am in.

I've installed ISPConfig on the machine which suppose to be serv as a department server (Mail, CVS, FTP, bla bla bla). I've setup the web for the department and crated users (I took out user prefix web[WEBID]_ and just used normal names like stephan, john etc. I don't think it's a problem because i know that I wont have same usernames in different webs - anywhay I've only one web for now)

What happens now is that I want to set up IMAP - should actually run by default if one goes after "The Perfect ... SUSE...". The name of the machine is "alpheratz" and the doumain it is in is "cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk" So in the settings of ISPConfig I entered alpheratz as a host and cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk as domain. Wright so for isn't it?

I couldn't connect via IMAP first because the box "Maildir" in the ISPConfig settings for email wasn't ticked. So I did this.
    The weird thing is that ICPConfig proposes following email for john --> [email protected] and not [email protected] as I would assume from my knowledge :)
    Now I can connect to the server and put some emails form other accounts with Thunderbird but if i send emails with it I am getting the following as reply in Thunderbird
    Code:
    This is the Postfix program at host alpheratz.cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not
    be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can
    delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]>: host load-balance-smtpin.mmu.ac.uk[149.170.190.144]
        said: 550 HELO/EHLO is invalid, domain alpheratz.cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk is not
        permitted (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Reporting-MTA: dns; alpheratz.cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: C93DF27068
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
    Arrival-Date: Wed,  1 Feb 2006 11:27:18 +0000 (GMT)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; host load-balance-smtpin.mmu.ac.uk[149.170.190.144]
        said: 550 HELO/EHLO is invalid, domain alpheratz.cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk is not
        permitted (in reply to RCPT TO command)

besides the /var/log/mail is full of these weird messages (this makes out nearly 80% of the log file)
    Code:
    Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (bogdan)
    Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Error: Input/output error
    Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Check for proper operation and configuration
    Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).

and this is comming frequently
    Code:
    Feb  1 11:21:34 alpheratz postfix/smtpd[31161]: warning: connect to private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory
    Feb  1 11:21:35 alpheratz postfix/smtpd[31161]: warning: connect to private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory
    Feb  1 11:21:35 alpheratz postfix/smtpd[31161]: warning: problem talking to server private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory

Uni it guys told me that aAlpheratz already is allowed through the central gateways

:( Guys please need help! otherwise i'll be lynched in the course of this day :)

2. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

The same thing happens if I use POP protocol as well :(

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

That's correct.

Please check the Co-Domains tab. I bet you have cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk there. If you don't need it, delete it.
    Explanation: If you create a web site www.example.com, ISPConfig automatically creates the Co-Domain example.com because that's what most users want and expect. Therefore you have this Co-Domain cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk even if you didn't create it yourself.

This looks as if it blocked by your university...

4. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Thanks falko for the fast reply, I'll check the thing with our IT department and report shortly. I've deleted the co-domain (even don't know whot I would need it for).

5. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Is there any solution for this coming constantly in the mail-log

Code:
    Feb  1 13:48:21 alpheratz pop3d: LOGIN, user=john, ip=[::ffff:149.170.198.6]
    Feb  1 13:48:22 alpheratz pop3d: LOGOUT, user=john, ip=[::ffff:149.170.198.6], top=0, retr=7340, time=1
    Feb  1 13:48:31 alpheratz imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (john)
    Feb  1 13:48:31 alpheratz imapd: Error: Input/output error
    Feb  1 13:48:31 alpheratz imapd: Check for proper operation and configuration
    Feb  1 13:48:31 alpheratz imapd: of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).

Is it something I have to worry about?

6. falko

As far as I know SuSE needs this famd otherwise POP3/IMAP fail. Please check if famd is running.

7. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Ok falco it was a long session in our IT department - these guy don't like people running their own things within universities :)
    here is the outcome of the exhausting conversation - we have and outgoing server load-balance-smtpout.mmu.ac.uk. I remember that when I've setup our old server (which will be replaced by the one I am setting up ISPConfig on) I configured sendmail.cf and entered there this server. Do I need to do something like this in ICPConfig or is it something I need to do in the intestines of SUSE?

As for the other problem - I can't find famd in /etc/init.d ! Is it something I have to install additionally? Why wasn't it mentioned in the HOWTO "The Perfect ...." Anyway will this
    Code:
    Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (bogdan)
    be sorted out together with famd?
    Cheers for your appreciated HARD work!!!:)

8. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Add this line to your postfix main.cf:

relayhost = load-balance-smtpout.mmu.ac.uk

Code:
    As for the other problem - I can't find famd in /etc/init.d ! Is it something I have to install additionally? Why wasn't it mentioned in the HOWTO "The Perfect ...." 
    To install famd (in the howto: yast -i courier-imap fam-server courier-authlib expect tcl):

yast -i fam-server

maybe. Let us solve one problem after the other :)

9. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

falco & till a big thanks goes to both of you!
    Here is what I did and what solved some of the problems:
    1. installed famd (yast -i fam-server) which cleard mail-log from these nasty messages
      Code:
      Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Failed to create cache file: maildirwatch (bogdan)
      Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Error: Input/output error
      Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: Check for proper operation and configuration
      Feb  1 11:54:36 alpheratz imapd: of the File Access Monitor daemon (famd).
    2. added the relay server to the postfix main.cf (relayhost = load-balance-smtpout.mmu.ac.uk) which made me able to send emails :D

As we said we'll solve one problem at a time here is the some more work:
    1. I still have these messages in the mail-log every time I try to connect with my mail client (Thunderbird)
      Code:
      Feb  2 10:46:20 alpheratz postfix/smtp[23328]: warning: connect to private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory
      Feb  2 10:46:21 alpheratz postfix/smtp[23328]: warning: connect to private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory
      Feb  2 10:46:21 alpheratz postfix/smtp[23328]: warning: problem talking to server private/tlsmgr: No such file or directory
      Feb  2 10:46:21 alpheratz postfix/smtp[23328]: warning: no entropy for TLS key generation: disabling TLS support

2. This is maybe obvious for you guys but I not for me - do I also need to enter the incomming server for postfix. I can send emails from it but I can't receive any. This is the bounce email I am getting:
      Code:
      This message was created automatically by mail delivery software.

A message that you sent could not be delivered to one or more of its
      recipients. This is a permanent error. The following address(es) failed:

[email protected]
          Sorry, [email protected] is not recognised by mmu.ac.uk.

------ This is a copy of the message, including all the headers. ------

Return-path: <[email protected]>
      Received: from [149.170.188.2] (helo=anak.ayt.adm.mmu.ac.uk)
      	by majorforbes.isu.mmu.ac.uk with esmtp (Exim 4.41)
      	id 1F4c7j-0000VB-B4
      	for [email protected]; Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:55:35 +0000
      Received: from [149.170.198.6] (voyager.cpm.aca.mmu.ac.uk [149.170.198.6])
      	by anak.ayt.adm.mmu.ac.uk with ESMTP; Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:55:10 +0000
      Message-ID: <[email protected]>
      Date: Thu, 02 Feb 2006 10:55:46 +0000
      User-Agent: Mozilla Thunderbird 1.0 (X11/20041207)
      X-Accept-Language: en-us, en
      MIME-Version: 1.0
      To: Bogdan Werth <[email protected]>
      Subject: Re: just test
      References: <[email protected]>
      In-Reply-To: <[email protected]>
      Content-Type: text/plain; charset=ISO-8859-1; format=flowed
      Content-Transfer-Encoding: 7bit
      X-MMU-Signature: 379635f56aeebc356a6afe253c902bc5
      X-MMU-DBG: disclaimer checking - acl_m0 exists (external recipients)

3. This is not so important for me but for the people in my department - all the folders like Sent, Trash, etc. are going out of the Inbox in Thunderbird and are not separately placed like on the old server :)
    4. Is it enough just to make a tape backup of /home/www/web6 to backup all mails fo the users in the web6. I know that with sendmail I also needed to save the /var folder. How is it solved in ISPConfig?

10. falko

Have a look here: http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=781

This seems to be another issue that you should discuss with your IT department. Seems as if they block something more...

Can you explain this a little more in detail?

If you use Maildir, then it's enough to save /home/www/web6. If you use mbox, you must also save /var/spool/mail.

11. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

falko
    1. having a look at the post you suggested solved the problem with TLS support messages.
    2. As for the mail bouncer so I'll go and have a chat with IT department once agian.
    3. Describing the folder tree in Thunderbird is kind of difficult if english is not your native language so I just made a screen shot. As you see in the account CPM the tree sturcture is a bit defferent from the new server Alpheratz.
    4. I've checked the Maildir checkbox on the email settings tab in ISPConfig. Is it that what you mean? So if I done this the tape backup of /home/www/web6 would save all users' emails.

Thanks agian!

12. falko

That's right. I hope you are using a POP3/IMAP server that supports Maildir, such as Courier? :D

13. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Today morning I've read these messages in my mail-log:
    Code:
    Feb  3 09:00:22 alpheratz postfix/cleanup[9982]: warning: database /etc/postfix/virtusertable.db is older than source file /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    Feb  3 09:00:22 alpheratz postfix/pickup[9333]: 16E9027094: uid=0 from=<root>
    Feb  3 09:00:22 alpheratz postfix/trivial-rewrite[9983]: warning: database /etc/postfix/virtusertable.db is older than source file /etc/postfix/virtusertable

is it agian something I have to worry about :) or is it more or less harmless?
    The Inbox tree structure as described in my previous post... does this have someting to do with the Maildir thing? (Sorry in beforehand if it is one of the questions some people get laugh at :rolleyes: )

14. falko

Do you edit /etc/postfix/virtusertable manually? If you did, you must run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    afterwards. This command creates /etc/postfix/virtusertable.db from /etc/postfix/virtusertable.

Yes, you can do this only with Maildir and IMAP. If you need a special tree structure, you should have a look at the maildirmake command:
    Code:
    man maildirmake

15. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Thanks a lot for your hints falco,
    I'll consult the manual in respect to the Inbox tree structure.
    I even don't know what this file does :eek: so I surely didn't change anything in it. Can the installation of some new software change the file? Shall I still run the suggested commands?

Thanks a lot in beforehand.

16. falko

You can have a look at these threads:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1147
    http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=738

You should run
    Code:
    postmap /etc/postfix/virtusertable
    anyway and restart Postfix.

17. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

mails not delivered...

I thought this message belongs into continuation of this thread rather then starting a separad thread for this issue.

Strangely but my emails are delivered (I am a member of the web) but emails of everybody else are just stuck in /var/spool/mail/

Is there an explanation why the system is so choosy about the user it delivers emails :-(

Thx in advance

18. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

If this is any hint to you guys:
    if the user creates folder that goes fine... but he can't put any email in this folder.
    I can send emails but they are not going to Sent folder :(
    I tried to deactivate Mailsdir in ISPConfig interface and then activate agian (maybe stupid idea but I thought i might help) but with no effect. Actually my Sent folder was empty after that.

19. falko

Maybe it's a problem with the permissions? Anything in the mail log? Could also be a quota issue.

20. bogdinator

bogdinator New Member

Falco
    • Logs are ok. I can read there that emails are sent or receive and the /var/spool/mail/userxx files are getting bigger and bigger.
    • I created the web with no limitation of space for the users... can quota still be an issue?
    help:eek: