mail from server being blocked?

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by palkat, Jan 19, 2006.

1. palkat

palkat New Member

Falko HELP!!! LOL

Alright so i just made the changes in the /etc/postfix/main.cf what i did is as follows:

changed myhostname = server1.$mydomain
    to
    myhostname = mail.oneillpcs.com

also changed mydomain = example.com
    to
    mydomain = oneillpcs.com

(I used "mail." in stead of "server1." because server1 still did not allow messages to aol but using "mail." aol accepted my mail messages so that worked GREAT!

BUT i had to change it all back to server1.example.com because my server became as slow as my OLD commodore64 hahaha...it was working non stop and in my own personal mail box on the oneillpcs.com domain i kept getting the following message sent over and over about 300 per hour:

----[mail message being]----------
    This is the Postfix program at host mail.oneillpcs.com.

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to <postmaster>

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The Postfix program

<[email protected]> (expanded from
    <admispconfig@localhost>): mail for localhost.oneillpcs.com loops back to
    myself
    ---[mail message end]--------

I'm getting these in my mail box (never got them before) about every 25seconds PLEASE HELP its slow and a ton of these same message filling up my mail.

How do i get that undeliverable message to stop happening? and my server still now runs REALLY REALLY slow unless i stop the postfix in the command prompt.

Please help! thanks!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2006
  2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Just append localhost.oneillpcs.com to the mydestination line in /etc/postfix/main.cf and restart Postfix.

3. palkat

palkat New Member

just tried that my MYSEDTINATION is as follows:

mydestination - /etc/postfix/local-host-names localhost.oneillpcs.com

and i restarted the postfix but still getting message of undeliverable and other people on differant domains than "oneillpcs.com" are now calling saying they have 400+ of these messages in their inboxes too..

What next? thanks for the help!

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

This setting of mydestination wont work. If mydeatination is a path like: /etc/postfix/local-host-names, must open the file /etc/postfix/local-host-names and add the line:

localhost.oneillpcs.com

at the end of the file instead of appending it to mydestination in your main.cf file.

5. palkat

palkat New Member

Till,

I did that already too...in the local-host-names i added both

localhost.oneillpcs.com and mail.oneillpcs.com and still the undeliverable message keeps coming in the past 5 minutes i have now (and other domains) gotten over 40 of the messages so what ever it is they undeliverable message is coming at me faster! man on man...what next?

6. palkat

palkat New Member

here is the attachement on the messages all the domains are getting:

Reporting-MTA: dns; mail.oneillpcs.com
    X-Postfix-Queue-ID: EDB1E2BAA2
    X-Postfix-Sender: rfc822; [email protected]
    Arrival-Date: Thu, 2 Feb 2006 12:25:00 -0700 (MST)

Final-Recipient: rfc822; [email protected]
    Original-Recipient: rfc822; admispconfig@localhost
    Action: failed
    Diagnostic-Code: X-Postfix; mail for localhost.oneillpcs.com loops back to
    myself

7. till

Have you restarted postfix after you added the line to the local-host-names file?

8. palkat

palkat New Member

yes i have resterted after everytime still keep coming in though. the machine is slowing down cause of it.

9. till

Does the mydestination line looks like this:

mydestination = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

and not with a "-" inside like you posted it in the forum?

10. palkat

palkat New Member

yes till,

it is:

mydestionation = /etc/postfix/local-host-names

11. falko

What's in /etc/postfix/local-host-names?

12. palkat

palkat New Member

local-host-names:

(it also included localhost.oneillpcs.com but took it out as that really slowed the system down and produced even more undeliverable messages)

###################################
    #
    # ISPConfig local-host-names Configuration File
    # Version 1.0
    #
    ###################################
    localhost
    server1.example.com
    localhost.server1.example.com
    localhost.example.com

----- edited for customer sake ----

#### MAKE MANUAL ENTRIES BELOW THIS LINE! ####

Last edited: Feb 4, 2006
  13. palkat

palkat New Member

Im at wits end...i stop the postfix server then run the postsuper -r ALL and it nukes hundreds of messages. then restart the postfix for less than 1 minute stop it and the postsuper will still remove about 190+ messages.

WHat is creating this message replication of undeliverable for all users on all domains? it is killing us.

14. falko

Can you post a more detailed excerpt of the mail log?

15. palkat

palkat New Member

Falko & Till, Thanks for all your help and quick responce. I had to give up and build out a new server cloaning this one.

This thread started out because any domain on my server could not get emails through AOL or Timewarner that were sent from a PHP program. Well on the new server i rebuilt i installed it correctly in the fact that i named the server build "server.myhostingdomainname.com" versus the original machine that was "server1.example.com".

so now AOL, timewarner no longer block emails from my new machine...48hours of stress and pain but a heck of a learning experience! LOL

thanks again you two for all the help! till next time....