Mail not being received

Discussion in 'General' started by nformosa, Sep 20, 2005.

1. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi again,

I'm still testing my ispconfig machine, it is based on Debian and followed the instructions to install the perfect setup.

When testing my mail there is a problem where i can send mail outwards but cannot receive any mail!

Is there something i'm missing?

Thanks
    Nick

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Which pop3 and IMAP server have you installed? The howto includes 2 different solutions taht needed different settings in ispconfig.

3. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Yes. Is your POP3/IMAP daemon using Maildir or mbox, and have you made the appropriate setting under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email?

4. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi

So i had the option to install either Postfix/Pop3/Imap or Courier-IMAP/Courier-POP3

What i did was installed Postfix with Courier-IMAP/Courier-POP3

But to tell you the honest truth i don;t know which is the best to isntall so if you can enlighten me on this feature i would be much obliged...at least your personal view on which is best etc.

Thansk again
    Nick

5. falko

I prefer Postfix with Courier-POP3/Courier-IMAP because it uses Maildir which means that ebery mail is stored in a single file instead of one large file for all (like in the mbox format). So you have less problems with corrupted mail boxes, quotas, etc.

This means you have to enable Maildir under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email.

6. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Falco,

So you're saying that i should set up only Postfix/Imap/Pop3 using the SMTP-AUTH and TLS? and using the Maildir format?

So, the best thing is to re-install Debain/ISPconfig and installing the above stating postfix + smtp-auth etc!?

also..as we're in the re-installing area..do you think ubuntu is better than debian? (as i just found out there is an install howto for ubuntu now) ~! Or there is another better (ie more prefered) OS you deem more effective as a Server operating system!

Thanks
    Nick

7. falko

No, it was you who said that you had installed Postfix and Courier: :D

Don't know why you want to re-install. :confused: Postfix and Courier are installed, so everything is fine. :)

8. nformosa

nformosa New Member

I apologise...read the thread in a rush and didn't understand it...sorry :p

So ok...I have installed the correct stuff phew!! hehe!

Still...i have two things:

1. Since the threadis about not receiving Email...what do you think is wrong? (now you know what i have installed .. hehe)

2. I really would like your opinion on the best, suitable (in this case for ISPConfig) Operating System (ie Linux flavour)!!

Thanks very much
    Nick

9. till

Falko has posted the answer above: "and have you made the appropriate setting under Management -> Server -> Settings -> Email?"
    Have you changed the setting to maildir?

10. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Yes i did till,

to say all, before i ticked the Maildir option, i had problems as Outlook kept asking me for the Username and Password!

Once i did tick the maildir, the logging was going good!

But still, i couldn't receive any mail!

Thanks

11. falko

As I've written before:
    There is no "best" Linux, all Linuxes mentioned here: http://www.ispconfig.org/ are supported. This is only a matter or what you prefer personally. The distro I like most is Debian. :)

12. till

Did you get any errors in your mail log (/var/log/mail.log)?

When you send an email, did the email arrive in the mailbox under /var/spool/mail/[USERNAME] or in the Maildir/new/ folder in the home directory of the user?

13. nformosa

nformosa New Member

So i restarted installing debian using, the very detailed, howto.

As i told you installed the courier-imap / courier-pop3, but i wanted to make sure, since i'm resinstalling that i'm doing the right thing.

There is a section in the debian sarge howto about Postfix/Pop3/imap; should i first follow this then run the part of the courier imap/op3 or just install postfix then jump to the section Courier-impa / courier-pop3?

Can you ps help

Thanks nick

14. till

Follow the complete postfix/pop3/imap installation and then proceed with the courier setup. The other pop3 / imap will be automatically removed by apt.

15. falko

Are you sure that the mail is actually delivered to your system and not to another one (because of DNS misconfiguration etc.)? When you send a test mail to your box, can you see appropriate log entries in /var/log/mail.log?

16. nformosa

nformosa New Member

thanks guys

Falco, i don't think taht its a dns proble since i've already have another temp mail server which works great! (but has to be replaced)

Thanks once again
    Nick

17. falko

Ok, but can you see something in the logs when you send a mail to the system?

18. nformosa

nformosa New Member

Hi again...

sorry for taking so long...

so..

1. under Maildir/user nothing could be found

2. under /var/spool/mail/user/new its empty

3. here is a part whre i tailed the incoming mail in mail.log

Sep 24 16:23:49 smarterwerx postfix/smtpd[2760]: connect from zproxy.gmail.com[64.233.162.192]
    Sep 24 16:23:50 smarterwerx postfix/smtpd[2760]: 6AFB447C289: client=zproxy.gmail.com[64.233.162.192]
    Sep 24 16:23:50 smarterwerx postfix/cleanup[2763]: 6AFB447C289: message-id=<[email protected]>
    Sep 24 16:23:50 smarterwerx postfix/qmgr[2308]: 6AFB447C289: from=<[email protected]>, size=1335, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
    Sep 24 16:24:09 smarterwerx courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:09 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:09 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, time=0
    Sep 24 16:24:11 smarterwerx courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:11 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:11 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, time=0
    Sep 24 16:24:19 smarterwerx courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:19 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:19 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, time=0
    Sep 24 16:24:20 smarterwerx postfix/smtp[2766]: connect to smarterwerx.smarterwerx.com[217.168.163.172]: Connection timed out (port 25)
    Sep 24 16:24:21 smarterwerx postfix/smtp[2766]: 6AFB447C289: to=<[email protected]>, orig_to=<[email protected]>, relay=none, delay=31, status=deferred (connect to smarterwerx.smarterwerx.com[217.168.163.172]: Connection timed out)
    Sep 24 16:24:21 smarterwerx postfix/smtpd[2760]: disconnect from zproxy.gmail.com[64.233.162.192]
    Sep 24 16:24:31 smarterwerx courierpop3login: Connection, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:31 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGIN, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1]
    Sep 24 16:24:31 smarterwerx courierpop3login: LOGOUT, user=nicky.formosa_smarterwerx, ip=[::ffff:127.0.0.1], top=0, retr=0, time=0

19. falko

Which server is smarterwerx.smarterwerx.com? Is it yours? Why does the connection time out? Isn't Postfix running on that server?

It's /var/spool/mail/[username], not /var/spool/mail/[username/new.

20. nformosa

nformosa New Member

hi falco,

so smarterwerx.smarterwerx.com is the server! though it looks funny! Where can i play with this setting? as i'm pretty sure it shouldn't be that way! it should read only smarterwerx.com!

I checked, as u rightly stated, /var/spool/mail/[username] and it was empty!

Thanks
    Nick