mail routing: can I use ISPConfig as mail antispam/antivirus gateway?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by recin, Sep 5, 2020.

1. recin

recin Active Member

I have ISPConfig 3.1.15p2 running under Ubuntu 18.04 with rspamd and I have one domain on another server (a shared hosting with a terrible mail antivirus).
    Is possible to set ISPconfig as a mail gateway in order to get mail destined to external domain, check for virus and, if it is clean, deliver it to domain on external server?
    I tried with mail routing but mail is not delivered and I receive this error:
    This is what I tried:
    • Email -> Relay recipients: set @externaldomain.com as relay recipient. I tried with [email protected] too but doesn't work either.
    • Email -> Relay Domains:
      • Domain: externaldomain.com
    • Email -> Email accounts -> Email routing:
      • Domain: externaldomain.com
      • type: SMTP
      • No MX lookup checked
      • Destination: external server IP
    I'm not sure if relay repicient and mail routing domain should be externaldomain.com, @externaldomain.com or *@externaldomain.com (in ISPConfig manual examples relay recipient has @ but not in mail routing domain.
    Am I missing something? Should I create externaldomain.com mails on Ispconfig server? Can I use ISPConfig server as mail antivirus gateway?
    Thanks.

EDIT: Finally its working, the problem was with external cpanel server, I checked user remote mail server and it's wrong, it has to be local server

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Yes, many providers use ISPConfig as an antispam gateway. You can find examples for the mail relay and spamfilter user and policy settings e.g. in ISPConfig manual.

3. recin

recin Active Member

I keep getting errors.
    If I use [email protected] as both relay recipient and mail routing domain I get this in mail.log:
    If I use @externaldomain.com as relay recipient and externaldomain.com as mail routing domain I get this:
    externaldomain.com has nothing on my ispconfig server. What could be the problem? Should I create a DNS zone for it?

4. snowweb

snowweb Member

Why don't you migrate that one domain you have on a "terrible provider" using shared hosting, to your ISPconfig server and cut the other provider loose?
    ISPConfig can happily handle the mail and website for the domain at the same time. I think you'll save some cash and some headaches.

5. recin

recin Active Member

Don't have enough disk space on ispconfig server, and I want to try mail routing.

snowweb likes this.