Mail Server DNS

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by WaterWave, May 6, 2014.

1. WaterWave

WaterWave New Member

Hi,

First, I must say that I really appreciate everything you do to make it simple for us to build our own server.

Second, I must say that I'm new in configuring servers so my comprehension is really not perfect.

I followed your guide "The Perfect Server - Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (nginx, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3)"

+ Nginx Built with Pagespeed

+ Using Varnish with NGINX

What I would like to do now is setup some emails on this server and I keep hitting a wall when I need to enter my MX value in my DNS.

I'm using CloudFlare as my DNS Server. Here's my configuration:

A | domain.com | points to SERVER-IP
    A | mail | points to SERVER-IP
    A | www | points to SERVER-IP
    MX | domain.com | mail handled by mail.domain.com with priority 10

This is not working at all and when I go to mail.domain.com, I see another website that is hosted on this server.

I can log into any mail account created using /squirrelmail but there is an error when trying to send an email from there.

I would really appreciate to get help with that problem as I wasted about a day trying to understand and fix the problem without success.

Hope someone will be able to help me.

Best regards,

Carl

2. srijan

srijan New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi

Post the error message(s) that you get in the mail log file when the problem occurs. The mail log file is in the folder /var/log/, it is named "mail.log" on Debian and Ubuntu Linux.

3. WaterWave

WaterWave New Member

Hi Srijan,

That just solved my problem. I should have checked the logs...

There was a lot of these:
    SSL_accept error from unknown[::1]: lost connection

This post helped me with the "submission" and "smtps" uncomment.

After that, everything worked.

Thank you again!

Carl