Mailbox Optimisation

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by sheshes, Feb 25, 2021.

1. sheshes

sheshes Member

Hi guys,

After some years now, some of my clients mailboxes have become too big, and thus several computers that are accessing the same email accounts are running slow and IMAP folder syncing is very very slow.
    Is there a way I can do something about it? Like for instance to move mails prior to 2018 to a different folder but that folder is only access on demand and not synced along with the others? Cause sometimes they are looking for older mails and would be a hustle if I completely delete them or move them to another account?

Any help is appreciated
    Thanks

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are various options available for dovecot, if you search for e.g. "dovecot mail archiving" in a search engine of your choice, you should find them.

3. sheshes

sheshes Member

Since I 'm no a multiserver setup, if I setup a new mail server is it possible to move archive mails to the new server but still be accessible when user demands?

4. Th0m

Th0m ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

In theory, this would be possible, but I would not do so.

How big is this mailbox? Some of my clients have huge mailboxes without a problem. Maybe your users have some weird config in their client, or there is a different problem?

5. sheshes

sheshes Member

It's about 20-30g per mailbox, and I have 3 of them, thus taking ages to resync mail on various devices using the same mailbox. This is mainly because of mails from year 2012 with attachments etc which the user only want to access if and when it is required, it's not necessary to be synced at all times.
    This also leads to the problem of when outlook users access the mailbox it creates a 30g ost file which crunches up disk space etc.

What could you suggest as best optimal solution?

6. Th0m

Till mentioned something in #2, but you could also do the following:

Let's say the mailbox is called [email protected]. Change the address to [email protected] and create a new mailbox "[email protected]" with the same credentials. Now the main address is cleaned up, and if a old email is needed, you can search it in the archive.
    You could even use a tool like imapsync to sync mails from 2018 till now to the "new" mailbox, with the argument "--maxage".

7. sheshes

sheshes Member

That's sounds great!.

If I change the name of the existing mailbox, will all the folders of that mailbox existing in /var/vmail be changed? or I need to resync anything?

8. Th0m

It will all be listed under the user info-archive.

9. sheshes

sheshes Member

thanks a lot Th0m and till for your support

10. nhybgtvfr

nhybgtvfr Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

in outlook, under the account's Advanced settings, you can configure Outlook to only download headers.
    it'll only download the message contents when the email is opened.
    that'll reduce the amount of data to be synced significantly.

in thunderbird, you can configure it to sync only for the last eg 30 days of messages. it'll load in older mail in batches as you scroll to the end of the current mail folder contents.

Th0m likes this.