Maildrop: unable to open mailbox

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by KaiserGimmel, Jan 24, 2010.

1. KaiserGimmel

KaiserGimmel New Member

[Solved]Maildrop: unable to open mailbox

Hello,

yesterday I did a big misstake - i added the unstable sources to the sources.lst (to update my mumble server) and my apt-auto updater did a complete update of my server tonight. Its a debian lenny machine. With the old setup everything worked fine

The Problem is now that maildrop cant deliver new emails to the maildir:

I didnt alter the permission and they are still correct. vmail is the owner of the /var/vmail folder.

I tried to deliver a recent mail to the maildir:

I think the Recipient User and Host are not passed in correctly - dont know how to fix this.
    My mercurial tells me that the master.cf is not altered - but for a overview:

The mysql settings work - same again nothing altered.

Anyone here can give me a clue how to fix this mess?
    Would really appreciate it!
    Cheers
    Max

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You can not test maildrop like that, so its ok that your test failed.

To your original problem. Debian has two maildrop packages, one with mysql support and a second one without maildrop support. It seems as if you replaced the maildrop on your system with the one without mysql support, this results in the problem that myaildrop can not lookup the maildir anymore in mysql and so the delivery fails. You should reinstall the original maildrop package that is used in the perfect server guide.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2010
  3. KaiserGimmel

KaiserGimmel New Member

[Solved]Maildrop: unable to open mailbox

Hey till,

thanks for your fast answer - I did a downgrade of maildrop, and it fixed my problem!

For the history:

from the aptitude logs: courier-maildrop 0.60.0-2 -> 0.63.0-2 - so i removed the unstable sources and reinstalled courier-maildrop with that version.

After i entered "postfix flush" I even got all my emails :)

You made my day!
    Cheers
    Max

4. pebkac

pebkac Member HowtoForge Supporter

Can you tell me the commands you used to fix this. I have the same problem.
    I did do a apt-get remove maildrop and then did a apt-get install maildrop and still no go. I did disable the sources that I had enabled before so not sure what else to do??

--Steve

5. KaiserGimmel

KaiserGimmel New Member

Hello Steve,

I think you either forgot the apt-get update to get the old packages into the cache or you have a diffrent problem.

Try
    - if you have another version then 0.60.0-2 you have still the wrong one. Remove it - apt-get update && apt-get install courier-maildrop and verify again.
    If you got it you can hold the package (i would use aptitude instead of apt) so it keeps the current version until you say so. Its
    Cheers
    Max

6. pebkac

I did do the apt-get update after I posted and tried again to no avail. I did you what you suggested and still no go. The difference is that when I did it I only did apt-get install maildrop, you suggested courier-maildrop.

Code:
    root@wci:~# maildrop -v
    maildrop 2.0.4 Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.
    GDBM/DB extensions enabled.
    Maildir quota extension enabled.
    This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
    License. See COPYING for additional information.
    root@wci:~#

This is after I ran

Code:
    apt-get update && apt-get install courier-maildrop 
    help!

7. pebkac

and just so you can see the error in the mail log.

Code:
    Feb  1 14:50:48 wci postfix/qmgr[3164]: 1AB0EAC1CF: removed
    Feb  1 14:50:48 wci maildrop[4548]: Unable to open mailbox.
    Feb  1 14:50:48 wci postfix/pipe[4547]: 72A5AAC1D8: to=<[email protected]>, relay=maildrop, delay=0.13, delays=0.04/0.02/0/0.07, dsn=4.3.0, status=deferred (temporary failure. Command output: /usr/bin/maildrop: Unable to open mailbox. )

8. pebkac

I tried it all again. It is installing the correct version, but when I do maildrop -v it says somethign else?????

Code:
    root@wci:~# apt-get install courier-maildrop
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Suggested packages:
      courier-doc
    The following NEW packages will be installed:
      courier-maildrop
    0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 15 not upgraded.
    Need to get 0B/951kB of archives.
    After this operation, 2597kB of additional disk space will be used.
    Selecting previously deselected package courier-maildrop.
    (Reading database ... 45905 files and directories currently installed.)
    Unpacking courier-maildrop (from .../courier-maildrop_0.60.0-2ubuntu1_i386.deb) ...
    Processing triggers for man-db ...
    Setting up courier-maildrop (0.60.0-2ubuntu1) ...

root@wci:~# maildrop -v
    maildrop 2.0.4 Copyright 1998-2005 Double Precision, Inc.
    GDBM/DB extensions enabled.
    Maildir quota extension enabled.
    This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public
    License. See COPYING for additional information.
    root@wci:~#

9. rforsythe

rforsythe New Member

This appears related to a maildrop package update pushed out in the last day or two. I was able to downgrade it using this command:

aptitude install maildrop=2.0.4-3

Then do this:

postfix flush

And now my queues are flushing fine. I am also using the following command to prevent this from re-updating, which I will 'unhold' at some point in the future when I see the issue has been resolved...

aptitude hold maildrop

Good luck folks, I had a lot of mail getting queued but seems OK now.

10. troggie_0092

troggie_0092 New Member

What was wrong with maildrop that the update caused it to not connect to the mailbox?

Will it be fixed in time to come?

Thank you once again

11. pebkac

This did the trick. I first uninstalled courier-maildrop and then did what you suggested and now it works, thanks so much!!!!

12. KaiserGimmel

KaiserGimmel New Member

I'm glad it worked out, the explicit version install is good to know, too.

Are there any plans to support the new courier-maildrop?

Cheers
    Max

13. till

I guess that you will have to ask this the maintainer of the ubuntu maildrop package. Maybe you reach him on the ubuntu mailing lists.

14. rforsythe

rforsythe New Member

Glad my fix is working for everyone, I just wish the new version was working too. :-/ I have no idea when the package owner will fix it, that's up to them.

Also, you don't need to remove courier-maildrop first if you had put it on for testing as part of this debacle; the 'install maildrop=2.0.4-3' will remove it for you since it conflicts.

My hope is when the new version is fixed, someone will be nice enough to post it up here so we can 'aptitude unhold maildrop' and let it update again. My fear is some security flaw will become known in this version and we won't be able to correct it due to this upgrade bug.

15. KaiserGimmel

KaiserGimmel New Member

Hello guys,

Mhh... its in the unstable sources (im on debian) so its "okay" that it might not work properly.

My question was related to ispconfig and its support of the new courier authlib. As far as i understand it maildrop uses the courier authlib - in the previous version they directly used a mysql auth from maildrop.

With correct setting files (provided by ispconfig) working with this new auth lib the current maildrop should work, right ?

cheers
    Max

16. till

No, thats not the case as maildrop auth is not configured separately. Maildrop uses the normal auth mechanism of courier and this is set at compile time by the maildrop package maintainer. ISPConfig configures only courier-authdaemon which is used as authentication source for all courier based applications incl. maildrop.

Take a look at the courier config files.

17. till

Which Ubuntu version do you use that causes this problem? I installed just a fresh Ubuntu 9.10 server with all updates applied and ISPConfig 3.0.1.6 and the mail delivery works, no maildrop errors. Maybe there is a bug in the maildrop package that occurs only when its is updated and not when its newly installed.

[update] This is the version of the maildrop package installed on my test system:

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep maildrop
    ii  maildrop                          2.0.4-3+lenny3build0.9.10.1       mail delivery agent with filtering abilities

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
  18. pebkac

Well for somereason it broke again this moring, I had to run this command again..

aptitude install maildrop=2.0.4-3

Not sure what is going on but this bites...maybe I need to disable auto updates on the server, how can I do thatt?

--Steve

19. till

20. pebkac