Mailgraph & logs

Discussion in 'General' started by MathieuMa, May 10, 2006.

1. MathieuMa

MathieuMa New Member

Hi,

I'm trying to use mailgraph.
    For now, I didn't found any virus log or spam log anywhere in syslog, is there something particular to enable those ?

From what I saw it seems that clamassassin do not log anything, nor do spamassassin.

Is there a simple way to change this, or is it something planned in the future ?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

There aren't such logs. You can try to change it by editing /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf and /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/etc/clamav.conf.

3. MathieuMa

MathieuMa New Member

A somewhat unrelated question, what's the reason to use clamscan instead of clamd ?

Shouldn't clamd be faster (eliminating new process creation / destruction / lib opening and so on) ?

4. falko

clamscan is easier to implement, and it's more dificult for unexperienced Linux users to destroy it... ;)
    We try to make ISPConfig compatible to as many platforms as possible, that's why we have to make compromises sometimes. And a clamd daemon is easier to destroy (kill it accidentally, delete its socket, etc.), and I know that a lot of newbies play around with their systems without knowing what they're doing. ;)

5. reyn

reyn New Member

Hello,

I setup my CentOS 4.3 VPS using the The Perfect Setup - CentOS 4.3 (64-bit) HowTo and installed ISPconfig and mailgraph successfully.

My mails get spamchecked and marked and everything's fine, but they don't show up as spam in mailgraph as you can see here: http://www.reyn.de/cgi-bin/mailgraph.cgi

The logfile mailgraph is looking for is /var/log/maillog
    What do I have to change in
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/spamassassin/etc/mail/spamassassin/local.cf
    and in one or more of the following
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/etc/clamd.conf
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/etc/clamav.conf
    /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/tools/clamav/etc/freshclam.conf
    so that mailgraph lists the spam and virus mails?

Thanks in advance!

6. falko

The problem is that spam emails don't get tagged as spam in your mail log because Postfix delivers the mails to procmail which then invokes SpamAssassin before the mail is put in the inbox.

If you use a mail filter like amavisd, then Postfix delivers the mail to amavisd which then invokes SpamAssassin, and then amavisd delivers the mails back to Postfix so that spam can get tagged as such in the mail log.

7. reyn

reyn New Member

Thanks for your reply!

I'm not very into mailserver configuration yet, so.. is there any Howto to sort out spam that way (amavisd) or would you recommend me to use another spam statistics tool if and leave it the way it currently is (if possible)?

Thanks in advance

PS: Wir werden Weltmeister! :D

8. falko

You can have a look at the amavisd configuration in this tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/virtual_postfix_mysql_quota_courier
    But note that the Postfix setup there is not compatible with ISPConfig so please be careful.

I really hope it. That would be the biggest party I've ever seen... :)