Mailman 2.1 vs Mailman 3

Discussion in 'General' started by concept21, Jul 29, 2021.

1. concept21

concept21 Active Member

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

I don't speak for the project, but I'd be pretty confident in answering no, not in the "near" future. Things can always change (especially if you/someone wanted to contribute or fund the development), but I sure don't recall anyone mentioning that on their agenda, nor has there been much call for it in forums or the bug tracker (where I don't see a feature request for that - feel free to add one).

ahrasis, Th0m and concept21 like this.
  3. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

I think ISPConfig normally prefer stable softwares shipped with the OS Distro for server stability rather than latest bleeding edge softwares as it always simply use apt-get install without adding any other repo for mailman, mariadb, nginx, apache2 etc.

4. Taleman

Taleman Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Ubuntu 20.04 has mailman3 version 3.2.2 avalable in the usual repository.
    I gave up on using mailing lists after much problems with Mailman 2 and ISPConfig. Does Mailman3 support virtual users now? I understood that was the key point why ISPConfig and Mailman2 did not work together.

5. concept21

concept21 Active Member

Yes, Mailman v3 is on the stable repo of Ubuntu 20.04 :D

6. ahrasis

Then one running ISPConfig mail server on Ubuntu 20.04 should test mailman 3 as I read that it is capable of virtual users.

7. concept21

concept21 Active Member

If you give me the whole procedure, I can test it on my new set up. I can reinstall it if it fails. :rolleyes:

8. ahrasis

I am not very good with ISPConfig mail server system as I am merely running one on Ubuntu 20.04 using a relay.

I think ISPConfig developers can guide you with this test if you are prepared to do so.

9. ahrasis

I did some more reading out of curiosity for mailman3 and I find that the guide in the following link is quite good: https://gist.github.com/plepe/dab22fdbfec63d8632709065890124a3

I tested it out in my nginx server and it seems working, partially. Definitely this version is not supported yet by ISPConfig3.2 but may be in the future.

Edited: If you got mailman3 time out error (Start operation timed out. Terminating.) try adding some time to it by running this solution:
    Code:
    mkdir -p /etc/systemd/system/mailman3.service.d
    echo -e "[Service]\nTimeoutStartSec=180" | sudo tee /etc/systemd/system/mailman3.service.d/startup-timeout.conf

Last edited: Aug 1, 2021
  10. ledufakademy

ledufakademy Member