mailman, something's wrong

Discussion in 'HOWTO-Related Questions' started by ac15, Jan 7, 2016.

1. ac15

ac15 Member

hi,
    mods, could you please delete my other thread on the subject? (https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/mailman-list-cleanup.71901/) i removed all mailing lists by simply issuing
    Code:
    apt-get remove mailman && apt-get purge mailman
    and deleted all the directories mailman was using. after that i reinstalled mailman.
    but now i've got another problem. something is wrong with my address mapping. when i create a new list, mailman correctly sends a mail to the owner's email address. i can then log into the admin interface and configure the list. however, i can't send anything to the list's address ([email protected]), it bounces with
    Code:
    Recipient address rejected: User unknown in virtual mailbox table
    i found out that i can make it work by creating a new mailbox "[email protected]" via ispconfig. this mailbox doesn't receive mails, but instead mailman does. somehow my mapping of the list name to an email address is not working properly. i'm confused. could anyone please help me out?

charan likes this.
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Pleasetry to create another mailinglist, then wait 1-2 minutes and test the 1st list again. Does it work then?

ac15 likes this.
  3. ac15

ac15 Member

unfortunately it didn't.
    i have three mailing lists now, [email protected], which works because i also created a corresponding (but non-functional) mailbox [email protected] on the server. [email protected], which i created after reading your post. [email protected] was created 5 minutes later. both test10 and test20 bounce my mails.

edit. i did create these lists from the command line, that shouldn't make any difference though, right? the strange thing is, i can't see these lists in ispconfig..

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  4. till

It makes a difference as manually created lists wont show up in ispconfig and the scripts to configure them in postfix dont get run. Please delete the manually created mailinglists on the shell, then add a new list in ispconfig and then test if the first list works. Please also delete the mailbox that you added with the address of the list as mailboxes take preference over lists, so the list can not work then.

ac15 likes this.
  5. ac15

ac15 Member

i did what you proposed, and aha! it worked! thank you!
    but.. does that mean that i always have to keep a "sacrificial list" to make the previous one work?

edit. ok i just realized that it doesn't matter, since i can just delete the additional list after the other one works. thank you very much for your help, till!

Last edited: Jan 8, 2016
  6. till

ac15 likes this.