Mailman

Discussion in 'General' started by thevinster, Oct 7, 2005.

1. thevinster

thevinster New Member

Has anyone tried installing mailman? Once everything is done, mailman puts the files in /usr/lib/cgi-bin. When I try to copy the files over to /home/www/web#/cgi-bin and run it through http://domain/cgi-bin/mailman/admin/ it doesn't work.

Any ideas?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm not quite sure but the problem might be that you have subdirectories in the cgi-bin directory...

3. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Member

thevinster, did you figure this one out?

This is one of my next tasks. After looking at it, I'm guessing that going into my domain's cgi-bin and then doing a ln -s ../../../../usr/lib/cgi-bin/mailman/ mailman to create a symlink to the default cgi-bin would do the trick. But I won't be able to test this theory until my DNS changes over.

I'd love to hear if/how anyone else has solved this issue.
    ________
    Vaporizer Store

Last edited: Mar 4, 2011
  4. IntnsRed

IntnsRed Member

MailMan setup on Debian

I only set this up for one domain under my ISPConfig, so you'll likely have to modify this to implement MailMan for all of your hosted domains.

Here's the rub with Debian. Debian's developer installs MailMan into /usr/lib/cgi-bin. Due to ISPConfig's virtual domain configuration, ISPConfig-created domains do not "see" Debian's main cgi-bin subdirectory.

What I did was to simply edit /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf (note I'm using Apache2) and make this change:

#ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /home/www/web1/cgi-bin/
    ScriptAlias /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/

and then restarted Apache. Note: this "breaks" the default ISPConfig cgi-bin for this domain.

Myself, I like using the command-line "newlist" command to create a mailing list. So I created a new mailing list, and added the list's aliases to /etc/aliases like the script tells you to. I then, of course, ran "newaliases".

From that point, I can access MailMan "normally", e.g. http://mydomain.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/, http://mydomain.org/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/ListName or whatever URL.

There is no doubt that this is a crude fix. I don't use MailMan much, so it's a low priority hack just to get it working.

If you do actually put some effort into getting this working in a more integrated or comprehensive fashion, please let us all know...

5. falko

Your changes will be overwritten the next time you create/edit/delete a web site in ISPConfig because ISPConfig will completely rewrite Vhosts_ispconfig.conf!:eek:
    It is better to disable CGIs for that web site in ISPConfig and to put the
    Code:
    ScriptAlias  /cgi-bin/ /usr/lib/cgi-bin/
    line into the Apache Directives field.

6. kuyaedz

kuyaedz New Member

I've been struggling with this as well. Can someone tell me how I can installing mailman for just ONE of my virtual hosts? I've installed the .deb package mailman but I can't seem to figure how to include mailman/ in my /cgi-bin/.

Appreciate any tips. I'm really stumped on this one. (You'd think such a largely used app would have clearer docs!)

7. falko

I think you shouldn't use Debian's Mailman package as it is installed in a standard location, but not in the web site you want. You should try the sources from the Mailman web site.