making software changes to Suse 10

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by GermanyMontrealExpat, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Hello,
    tried to use
    after my software manager installed Suse 10 on a new partition, I used the YaST2 Software Management tool, as well as the same 5 installation CDs, to install various other programs that I need, including emacs (I'm an old-school Linux user, including RH 6.2 and 7.0). However, I find that the programs that I thought installed are not usable, i.e.:
    icaw164201:~ # emacs
    bash: emacs: command not found

Can anyone suggest where to look to track down these programs, and/or a robust, perhaps old-school way of installing these programs for Suse 10?

Cheers,

GermanyMontrealExpat

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Maybe your path setting is wrong. Did you try to find the binary with:

updatedb

and then:

locate emacs

3. Thanks for your kind response. I eventually found everything in /var/tmp/dirinstall. I just have to figure out how to set my paths accordingly, and I'll be fine.

Cheers,

GME

4. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

You can set the PATH variable in /etc/profile. After the next login, you should have to new PATH.

You can also put a .profile (with a dot at the beginning) with the PATH into the user's homedir. Something like this:

Code:
    # ~/.profile: executed by Bourne-compatible login shells.

if [ -f ~/.bashrc ]; then
      . ~/.bashrc
    fi

PATH=/usr/local/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/sbin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/bin:/usr/bin/X11
    export PATH

mesg n