Mandriva 2006 Server setup

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by leadrescue, Jan 16, 2006.

1. leadrescue

leadrescue New Member

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

You have to login on your server as root user and edit files or execute commands as described in the howto.

If you have a windows workstation connected to the same network as your server, you can use the SSH client putty to connect to your server.

http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/putty/

Then you can copy and paste the commands from the howto to the putty commandline window.

3. leadrescue

leadrescue New Member

Putty Installed

:confused: Ok I have sussesfully installed putty and logged into the server. I am now trying to create a file. just like the tutorials says.

"Now we want to create the virtual interface eth0:0 with the IP address 192.168.0.101. All we have to do is to create the file /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0 which looks like this:

DEVICE=eth0:0BOOTPROTO=staticIPADDR=192.168.0.101NETMASK=255.255.255.0NETWORK=192.168.0.0BROADCAST=192.168.0.255ONBOOT=yesMETRIC=10MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=noUSERCTL=no "

How do I create such a folder?? :confused:

In case you were wondering, yes, linux newbie.:eek:

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There are many ways to edit files, i will describe two different aproaches.

1) Editing files on the commandline:

http://www.howtoforge.com/faq/12_15_en.html

2) Or you edit files with winSCP which might be easier for you, as winSCP is a windows GUI program.

http://winscp.net/eng/download.php#download2

You can login with WinSCP to your server remotely with user "root" and the password you chose during installation. WinSCP contains an editor to edit files like there where local on windows.

5. leadrescue

leadrescue New Member

Downloaded

Ok so I have downloaded your awesome link and installed. Everything I try to do is blocked, says permission denied. Not that I know what I'm doing anyway. But I am so stuck. I am trying to complete page 4 of the how to for Mandriva Linux 2006.

6. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

You have to login as root.
    Once you're logged in as root, you should see a window divided in a left (your computer) and a right (your server) section, just like in an FTP client like WS_FTP.
    Create the file ifcfg-eth0:0 with an editor somewhere on your computer (go sure that you save this file with Unix linebreaks instead of Windows linebreaks), and then copy it to /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ on your server.

You could also create the file on the command line (e.g. PuTTY) like this:

Code:
    echo "DEVICE=eth0:0" > /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "BOOTPROTO=static" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "IPADDR=192.168.0.101" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "NETMASK=255.255.255.0" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "NETWORK=192.168.0.0" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "BROADCAST=192.168.0.255" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "ONBOOT=yes" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "METRIC=10" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "MII_NOT_SUPPORTED=no" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    echo "USERCTL=no" >> /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0:0
    Another note: you don't have to create that virtual network interface. It's just an example how you do it if you need more than one IP address.

7. leadrescue

leadrescue New Member

Server Config Mandriva Linux 2006

Is there someone out there willing to help me via IM?

YAhoo --> Leadrescue
    AOL --> Leadrescue
    MSN--> leadrescue (at) hotmail (dot) com

I am also have trouble with the /dev/hdb for a cdrom
    should be /dev/hdc

Oh my goodness! I want to scream!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 17, 2006
  8. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't have any messengers... So we must solve this problem in this forum. If you're willing to donate a little bit, you can write me a PM, and I'll have a look at your server... :)