Manual Apache Installation (1.3.x)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by protocol, Feb 4, 2006.

1. protocol

protocol New Member

Hello again. For some compatibility reasons i had to install apache 1.3 and php 4 on my Suse 10.0 machine. The Perfect Suse Setup suggests (at some point) that i would have to enter the /etc/sysconfig/apache2 file and alter some of its original entries, namely

Code:
    APACHE_MODULES="access actions alias auth [...] setenvif ssl suexec userdir php4 php5 rewrite"
    and

Code:
    APACHE_SERVER_FLAGS="SSL"
    ... however this file does not exist if the installation is done manually, as in my case. The /etc/sysconfig/... files only exist for servers that were installed from the original Suse DVD.

So, what do i have to do in order for the proper directives to be passed to my installation of Apache? Furthermore, should i expect problems with ISPConfig now that i am running and older apache version, or is it ok?

Please assist.

2. falko

falko Super Moderator ISPConfig Developer

This tutorial: http://www.howtoforge.com/howto_apache_mod_ssl_php should give you some hints how to configure Apache 1.3 with mod_ssl and PHP4.

Normally not, unless you install Apache in a totally unusual location. After you've unpacked the ISPConfig sources, you should have a look at the distribution specific settings in dist.txt and the files in the mod directory and correct them, if necessary. Afterwards, you can run the ISPConfig installation.

3. protocol

protocol New Member

Oh, i see. However, there is something i don't understand. Do i have to install SSL for my Apache server in order for ISPConfig to run on the machine? You see, i am not using SSL for any other reason on this particular Apache installation, and - as i understand it - ISPConfig does its own Apache installation which has nothing to do with mine.

If i am guessing properly, and indeed i do not need to install mod_ssl for my Apache installation, then i would prefer not to do it. In this case all there is to be said, is what to do with this 'rewrite' word that was supposed to be added to my /ets/sysconfig/... file.

What do you think?

Best Regards

Panos

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If you dont need SSL, mod_ssl is not nescessary for ISPConfig. But dont enable SSL in ISPCOnfig for a website, ISPCOnfig will then stop writing your apache configuration.

"rewrite" refers to the mod_rewrite module. Mod_rewrite must be installed and loaded in your apache configuration.