Mariadb installed twice

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by iqpascal, Jun 20, 2018.

1. iqpascal

iqpascal Member

Hi,
    I don't know how it happened but I managed to install MariaDB twice. Once from the Ubuntu 18.04 repo and once from the MariaDB repo.

iU libmariadbclient18 1:10.1.34+maria-1~bionic amd64 MariaDB database client library
    iU mariadb-client 1:10.1.34+maria-1~bionic all MariaDB database client (metapackage depending on the latest version)
    ii mariadb-client-10.1 1:10.1.29-6 amd64 MariaDB database client binaries
    ii mariadb-client-core-10.1 1:10.1.29-6 amd64 MariaDB database core client binaries
    ii mariadb-common 1:10.1.34+maria-1~bionic all MariaDB database common files (e.g. /etc/mysql/conf.d/mariadb.cnf)
    iU mariadb-server 1:10.1.34+maria-1~bionic all MariaDB database server (metapackage depending on the latest version)
    ii mariadb-server-10.1 1:10.1.29-6 amd64 MariaDB database server binaries
    ii mariadb-server-core-10.1 1:10.1.29-6 amd64 MariaDB database core server files

Now that there is an upgrade available the apt process says there is a conflict (really?). From what I gather the active mariadb is the one from the Ubuntu repository. But how can I safely remove the other one without losing my databases and solving the conflict?

2. ahrasis

ahrasis Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

You'll have to backup the database (just in case) then remove the older version before installing the newer one. If you have set the mariadb repo right, the package from it will be the one installed therefrom.