Master server promotion

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Horden, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Horden

Horden New Member

Hi,
    due to hardware failure i was forced to migrate all services managed by a single ISPConfig master server to one of the slaves(originally a mail server).
    The failed hardware also hosted two web servers and one mysql server. I was able to make all the services runnig on a single host - the old mail server with its own hardware. Even the ISPConfig web interface is accessible and I can make changes through it to the dbispconfig database.
    However, as this server is not the master, I am not able to create new web sites, mail sites, etc. The changes are written to the dbispconfig databse but not applied on the server itself - e.g. no new apache hosts, no new folders etc.
    ATM i wont be able to restore the old master and I am affraid doing a full migration through a new ISPConfig installation is not an option either - at least for a few next weeks.
    What I really need is promoting this server to master. Remember, all services are running and OK, old dbispconfig databse from the failed master server is backed up. I only need to tell this slave server that he is the new master and make a simple one server ISPConfig installation so I have time to set up a new environment and separate the services again.
    I can live without doing any changes for maybe the next three days before things get really dirty. Any advice highly appreciated!
    Thank you,
    Adrian

2. Horden

Horden New Member

Guys, is there really nothing I can do to get the system working correctly?
    I am trying to get some new hardware and make a fresh install but it might take about a week which is just not fast enough.
    I was hoping there is a way to maybe run the update script and just tell the system that it is the master now. It seems stange to me that i cant force ISPConfig to work as a standalone server when there is all the info necessary for the system to run properly.

Again, any advice would help a lot.
    Adrian

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

A slave database contains only data for this slave, so it can not be the master as there are just infos missing. You can try to rename the dbispconfig database on the slave, then create a new dbispconfig database and import the database backup of the master.

4. Horden

Horden New Member

I already copied the missing info/tables from the backup of the master DB to dbispconfig on the slave. Without it, i would not be able to log in to the web interface etc.
    I am sure the information in dbispconfig is sufficient for ispconfig to work properly(i have to take the risk), what I need to do is tell the system not to connect to the old master but become a master itself. Do I only need to make changes in config.inc.php and remove the dbmaster lines?

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

yes, you can try that, edit the ....../server/lib/config.inc.php file.