Memory Leak?

Discussion in 'General' started by adamluz, Sep 9, 2005.

1. adamluz

adamluz New Member

I am not sure what is going on here nor is it related to ispconfig but I thought I might be able to get some input. I have a server crashing every day at a random time. Here is the log I am getting, I am assuming its something to do with the ram but before i go and start messing around with the hardware I would like to get some input from others.

Take a look here: File to big to place in forum
    http://absz.com/log.txt

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

ISPConfig has currently no known memory leaks. When you open a shell on your server and run the command "top", does the memory usage rises until the SWAP is fully used? If this happens, which process consumes the memory? You can also use the command "ps -aux" to see all processes incl. their memory usage.

3. domino

domino New Member

I have a P3 1GHz with 128mb SDR. I run ferdoa 3 with default fedora 3 how-to and ISPC install. I always have 25MB left to work with. Which isnt bad at all. And I'd like to add that it has been running 24/7 for 5 days now. I'm sure things will change when the server gets busy. I'll probably have to add another 500MB but for light traffic, nothing is wrong or munching on the memory.

4. dedibox

dedibox New Member

Memory leak on fresh server

I just installed a Debian distrib with ISPConfig. I installed phpSys Info to keep tabs on processer and memory usage.

The CPU load is very low, as I only have Apache running and the server's not receiving or sending any e-mail.

However, the memory usage creeps up and eventually ends up at 99%!

I checked memory usage with ps -aux, and the memory hogs are:
    - multiple instances of using 1-3% of memory
    /usr/sbin/apache2 -k start -DSSL

- a single instance of mysql using 5.4% of memory
    /usr/sbin/mysqld --basedir=/usr --datadir=/var/lib/mysql --user=m

So even though ISPConfig does not appear to be the likely culprit, there must something wrong with the server configuration.

Can anyone help me figure this one out?

5. till

I dont think you have a memory leak. The Linux kernel always allocates all your memory and uses it for caching disk access etc.

6. dedibox

dedibox New Member

If it allocates all of my memory, why doesn't it do this at boot? phpsysinfo shows memory usage increasing, starting out at around 14% and ending at 99%!

7. till

Because the kernel caches files when they where first used and not all files where used when you boot your server!