Message Boards

Discussion in 'Programming/Scripts' started by mphayesuk, Sep 12, 2005.

1. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Does anyone know of a good message board that I can make avaialable on my web server. I dont like the ones that you have to put a link on your page for and goes off to god knows where.

Thanks

2. domino

domino New Member

You will need to research on what type of coding you are comfortable with. PHP, CGI/ Perl, etc.. Then depending on your script/forum you would like to use, you need to have a bit of knowledge with either mysql or flat based database. Again, your script documentations will let you know what its' requirements are.

As for banner ads and such, most free and commercial scripts do not have those. You run your own server now. If you are hosting on a free webservers available on the net, then yes, they do require banners and links on your forum to produce income and adverts to there free hosting site.

3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It is also a good idea to search how often bugs had been reported for a script. E.g. phpBB has a bad track record, I've installed it on a server and had to fix it once a month due to new vulnerabilitys :(

4. mphayesuk

mphayesuk Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks for your ideas, the one language I know plenty about is Java, which I could use, or maybe perl, all the languages are the same really.... Again thanks for the posts.