Migrate to new server

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ikrudolf, Jul 26, 2012.

1. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Hi there,
    Sorry I don't think I understand yet.

I have to look on the new server in this file
    for password.

I have to change on new server this password to what?

Tnx for your help.

2. beyerservice

beyerservice Member HowtoForge Supporter

sorry for my bad english...
    no, you have to set this pass in mysql-server for this user (in that file too, i think its ispconfig)
    i assume you had your hole mysql-dbs imported from old server? then mysql-user ispconfig has wrong pass and you need to set it to that correct pass which is used by many scripts. this postfix is only an example. there are many places within you ispconfig files, where you can find that password. (in /usr/local/ispconfig/... for example)

3. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Tnx a lot!

I was succesfull in changing the mysql user "ispconfig" with the correct password. My queue is "0" now. I rebooted after that. But unfortuatly stil"l only "Welcome to your website!" and not the "real" sites.

Any tips?
    Rudolf

4. beyerservice

did you hit resync (look in settings i think) ?
    can you check /etc/apache/sites-available/* if there are your sites?

5. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Yes I did the re-sync. The queue get's very full with that and 10 minutes later the queue is empty.

The site here /etc/apache/sites-available (with *.vhost) are indeed my sites.

When I installed the new server I choosed a new hostname can this be the problem?
    Rudolf.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2013
  6. beyerservice

Yes. You need to check all your web-domains and ispconfig server setting about your new hostname and select it, if it itn.
    1. set new hostname in server-settings (dont know the location exactly, but it looks like that:

Code:

Network
    IP Adresse
    Netzmaske
    Gateway
    Hostname   xxxxxxxx
    Nameserver

Firewall
    Loglevel 

2. select each web-domain which should run on that hostname and select the same hostname as in 1. created.

3. check if you select IP-settings for your domains. somewhere in this forum i read to only use IPs in every domain or not to use any IP-adress. not mixed.

7. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

It's a big pain to get this job done. And to difficult for a "starter" Linux user.
    I reinstalled the new server from scratch. Used the same server name as the "old" server.

Should I also import the mysql db? For example to get the user db's passwords?

A lot of sites don't work pfffff

Any tips on how to dump and import all the db's? Maybe something goes wrong here as well?

So imported the user table and now get:

Last edited: Jul 1, 2013
  8. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

I'm at a point to give up....
    Too dificult and too poorly explained by ispconfig team.

9. beyerservice

sorry i can help you if you write me some PN. in this forum is some information you need, and i did it with that litlle information twice.

10. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

I don't believe it! Migration worked.
    I used the migration db script fro this post and it worked!

http://www.howtoforge.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44673

You have helped me a lot thank you beyerservice.
    But I still think that migration is too dificult for starters.

Thanks again.
    Rudolf

11. beyerservice

right. but i think vserver is too difficult for starters :)
    i am glad you got it working.
    i dont like such scripts. i enjoy doing it manualy :)

Well this script doesn't anything different that exporting and importing, but i did never import 'information_schema'. maybe that the point.
    and sometimes importing of correct users and db access grands is difficult. so the real thing is about getting mysql to work (and to know) than ISPconfig.

by the way: if you didnt need it in productive environment you should disable mysql bind to *
    (see http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-wheezy-apache2-bind-dovecot-ispconfig-3-p3:
    vi /etc/mysql/my.cnf
    Code:
    [...]
    # Instead of skip-networking the default is now to listen only on
    # localhost which is more compatible and is not less secure.
    #bind-address           = 127.0.0.1
    [...]

i did NOT do this because i only need mysql on that server (so it is listening on 127.0.0.1)

12. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

I have some people say that their inbox is empty. So the migration of the /var/vmail folder is not complete.

When I login to the mail account on the old server the mails are still in the inbox. On the new server the mailbox is empty? Any tips?

13. ikrudolf

ikrudolf Member

Another thing.
    When in the Controlpanel when I click the email tab nothing comes up inthe right frame. The other tabs seem to work

14. hotmifi

hotmifi New Member HowtoForge Supporter

Thanks! Works almost perfectly. Two things to add:
    When using any relay server for sending emails you need to copy sasl_passwd and sasl_passwd.db from /etc/postfix as well.
    Same holds true for the whole /etc/letsencrypt directory.
    When using real certfificates for postfix, also smtpd.cert and smtpd.key (files or better links) need to be transferred.
    In all cases postfix and dovecot have to be restarted.
    After that login to ispconfig, go to tools > resync, check all checkboxes will set up a perfect ispconfig server.