Migrating from ISPConfig3 to postfixadmin

Discussion in 'General' started by Belldandu, Jun 7, 2016.

1. Belldandu

Belldandu New Member

So Before anyone even asks "why would you even want to do this?".
    Do not ask me this. I want to and that's that. I don't need anyone telling me how they can "help" me get ISPConfig3 to work or how great it is.
    ISPConfig3 is bad and the developers should feel bad. I want no part of this crapware. The only reason i am even touching it is because i am working on someone else's system that already had it installed.

We recently did a move and i realized just how true it was when my friend said that ISPConfig3 is absolute garbage.

If i wanted to be a lazy person with terribly configured nginx configs and databases i would have hired a mediocre salary man with no linux experience.

I absolutely HATE ISPConfig3 mostly on the grounds that even though it enables people to be lazy it does it in the worst and most cluttered way possible.

So i want out and i want out now.

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Probably falling for troll bait here, but are you just wanting to rant, or is there supposed to be a question in there?

3. ganewbie

ganewbie Member HowtoForge Supporter

Well,
    Nobody is holding you here, move if you choose so, and ask for help at your other choice's site.
    We are happy with ISPConfig 3.

4. Belldandu

Belldandu New Member

There is no "troll bait" here.
    And as for the the transition i just made a new database and recreated all the users and copied over their mail and passwords to the new database.

I want nothing to do with ISPConfig 3.

5. concept21

concept21 Active Member

ispcofig3 is good for these reasons:
    1. Free of charge;
    2. Easy to set up;
    3. Easy to maintain;
    4. Fast.
    5. Very few bugs.
    6. :D

6. webguyz

webguyz Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

But ISPConfig does have its challenges. You must be able to follow instructions exactly when using one of the Perfect Server guides. For those that like to 'color outside the lines', forget about it.

Thaddeus likes this.
  7. Belldandu

Belldandu New Member

Exactly. Not only that, but say i don't want to use everything in that guide? ISPConfig3 goes ballistic raping my journalctl with error upon error. ISPconfig3 has NO flexibility. And for an Advanced linux user like myself i can literally compare ISPconfig3 to windows, because that's how restrictive it is.

Praising ISPConfig3 because its "easy to use" and may not have any apparent bugs to you will not earn you any cool points with me.

As a person that used windows in a dual boot with Arch before his second HDD and SATA slot died on him i can say that restrictive software mediums and linux / Advanced Linux Users do not mix well. Linux was made to be customized where as ISPConfig3 seems to cater to windows users. If i wanted to automate stuff i would just use cron.

The main problem is that there is no "freedom" with ispconfig3. It literally feels as if its a windows program / windows itself which is just not needed nor welcomed by Advanced Linux Users such as me.

If most people haven't noticed by now, it's mostly the Linux users that actually know how to use linux that get annoyed with ispconfig3 and bad mouth it. (Aside from those random trolls just looking to irritate someone).

If ISPconfig3 was more open as to its customization i might be willing to use it again. But as it stands i don't feel right using a windows like software on linux when i can do everything it does manually (or automatically with cron and a few well written bash scripts) and do it better without worrying about stuff breaking because i didn't follow a "perfect" setup guide to the book.

8. concept21

concept21 Active Member

She is the PissedAdmin author. :D

Just install everything and stop loading the one you don't use. So simple. Just like a good car, you have no reason to customize its engine.:D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2016