Migrating from ispman?

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by ignasigarcia, May 16, 2006.

1. ignasigarcia

ignasigarcia New Member

Hi there!

We have a couple of servers running SuSE 9.0 and ISPMan. These servers run:
    -Apache 2, php4 4.3.3
    -Postfix 2.0.14
    -Bind 9.2.2
    -Cyrus 2.1.15
    -MySQL 4.0.15
    -PostgreSQL
    -amavisd, spamassassin, clamav up to date...

We are planning to do some changes (and they might even include upgrading the OS to a newer version)

We host several hundred corporate sites. We use pop3, imap and smtp over clear channels (no TLS or SSL), with authentication, and also pop-before-smtp for older email clients. ISPMan does not use regular user accounts, all domain and user data are stored in LDAP databases.

I assume a migration tool from ispman to ispconfig is probably too much... but, has anybody been able to manually migrate (even partially) from ispman to ispconfig?

If not, the software we are currently using (mostly Cyrus), would be 100% compatible with ispconfig routines? I know cyrus is somehow a nightmare to maintain, but it is very reliable (and I don't know a thing about Courier)

TIA,

Ignacio

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The remoting framework might be helpful when migrating your data.
    http://www.ispconfig.org/remoting_plugin.htm

Cyrus support has been introduced in the latest ISPConfig development release. But it is currently only available in the unstable branch, but its worth a try to see if it works for you.

3. ignasigarcia

ignasigarcia New Member

thanks, till

4. nerbas

nerbas New Member

successful Migration?

Hello everyone,

we'd like to migrate too and I was hoping for some guidelines, a tutorial or some written experience from someone who successfully migrated (ignasigarcia doesn't seem to answer) :)

So did someone migrate successfully from ispman to ispconfig? Could someone describe the way I'd have to take (roughly)?

It would be great if I could migrate user data on the running server - step by step. I'd have to:
    - copy the user data from LDAP to MySQL
    - copy user files (like web-data) to a different location
    - migrate the user(s) to ispconfig
    - change the FTP Server from pureFTPD to ispconfig needs

Can I keep the existing cyrus mailboxes? Can I keep the existing user Information (usernames, passwords, quota ... )?

Thanks for your help,
    -nb.

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I don't know ISPMan, so I can't help you with your other questions, only with this one: you musz convert your cyrus mailboxes to either mbox or Maildir format. Cyrus is not supported by ISPConfig.

6. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

ISPConfig vs ISPMan: single vs multi server

If I'm correct, a big difference between ISPConfig and ISPMan is that by design ISPConfig is single server oriented and ISPMan is multi server capable. That may be an important area of concern when migrating from one to the other.

Having said that: does anyone know if it's possible to install and configure ISPConfig in such a way that multi server support can be achieved? I'm in the process of configuring an OpenVZ based system with separate VE's for all primary services (dns, mail, web, database). Can that be done in such a way that management by (administrators, resellers and end users) can be done from a central place, preferably one dedicated control panel VE, while keeping all the (security) advantages of separate VE's?

7. till

This is currently not possible with ISPConfig, but will be available with ISPConfig 3.

8. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Wauw, that's a swift response. Thanx!

Obviously your answer raises the following question: any idea when ISPConfig 3 will be available? In other words: should I wait for ISPConfig 3 or go for another solution (like ISPMan) now? Any advise on that?

9. till

There is no release date for ISPConfig 3 yet, so I wont wait for it. But the development makes good progress :)

10. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

Thanx again although it's sad to hear. ISPConfig seems to be one of the most appealing Open Source control panels out there and because choosing a control panel also has consequences for the choice of applications and configuration of the rest of the system, going for somethin other than ISPConfig now will allmost defnitly mean I'll be stuck with it for quite a while.

Is there no indication as when to expect a beta version of release candidate?

11. till

ISPConfig is a complete rewrite of ISPConfig 2 from scratch that started over a year ago, a large part of the code is finished. I think we will see a first alpha or beta release in about 6 months.

12. pjdevries

pjdevries Member

That's quite some time still. I can't wait for that but will definitly have a look at it by then.

Thanks again for the quick replies and keep up the good work!

13. pts0

pts0 New Member

Hallo,

Some time past from your fist submit. I would like to migrate from IspMAN to Ispconfig 3. Is somehow possible to migrate the passwords for mailbox from ldap to mysql ?

Pts0