Migrating the web sites etc.

Discussion in 'Plugins/Modules/Addons' started by Trunkles, Dec 21, 2016.

1. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

Does someone have a tool that copies all the websites over or do you have to do it manually? I'm guessing that migrating Wordpress will be a nightmare. :(

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The ISPConfig migration tool copies over all sites, emails, dns records incl. the database data.

3. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

Damn. It didn't. 'du -hs /var/www' on the old server gives 105G, on the new 576K. :(
    Thoughts?

4. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

as I understand, the migration tool creates a script which you copy to and run from each server, which performs the actual data copy - did you run that (on the web server).

Note I've not used that tool and may have it backwards, ie. possibly you copy the generated script to the source server and run it; but there is a script to be copied and run which moves the actual data. :)

5. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

I creates a script that you run on the target that sets permissions and changes ownership. At least, I think that's what it does, I'll have a look at it and see what it really does.

6. florian030

florian030 Well-Known Member HowtoForge Supporter

Copy the commands-script to the target and run this script. Basicly, it's just a wrapper for rsync so you need rsync installed and keyless-login for the root-user from the target to the source.

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The command script copies over all websites data, email accounts and databases, look into script and you see the commands. I'm talking here about the command script, the one that was created by the migrate script on the old server which then has to be copied to the new system and executed there. The website and email data is migrated with rsync, so rysnc has to be installed as Florian stated, the database data is dumped with the mysqldump command on the old server and loaded into the new server with the mysql command, so mysql on the old system does not need to be stopped for the database migration.

8. onastvar

onastvar Member

FYI: Migration Tool documentation does not mention about RSYNC needed to be installed for script to work fully.

9. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

It doesn't mention it but, in my case, rsync is installed and up-to-date.

10. onastvar

onastvar Member

I followed perfect server tutorial and rsync did not get installed by default. So it took some time until I figured out that I needed to have rsync installed for migration tool script to work properly. I just thought that should be in documentation under **PREREQUISITES**.

11. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

I would agree, it does need to be in there.

12. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

If somebody has a moment, please could they try and connect to drsimon.co.nz port 25 and see if they get a response from postfix? I don't think mail is going in or out so an external test would be handy. Thanks. :)

13. onastvar

onastvar Member

i think it's working

# telnet drsimon.co.nz 25
    Trying 222.154.250.78...
    Connected to drsimon.co.nz.
    Escape character is '^]'.

14. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

Thank you onastvar. :)
    The sad thing is that if I send mail to it from an external account it bounces with a "Mail server for "drsimon.co.nz" unreachable for too long" message.

15. onastvar

onastvar Member

16. Trunkles

Trunkles Member

Thanks, tried mxtoolbox and it shows problems. :(
    I think this is the relevant bit...

SendSMTPCommand: Timeout waiting for response after 15 seconds.

Which suggests it's getting no reply, which is what I thought.