migration ispconfig3 lxd container to new ip

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by inka, Jan 13, 2020.

1. inka

inka Member

Hi,
    would like to make sure before i do the move that i have thought of everything.
    Container will be moved via LXD copy.
    Further necessary steps,
    1) create new MX record
    2) DNS is external and i would have to create new DMARC/DKIM/SPF records
    3) in A and further MX records for other domains would need adjustment to new IP
    Did i forget anything?

How do i handle Lets Encrypt, do be honest cannot exactly recall how i set it up first place. I followed a forum Post from a year ago, probably used some script and i do regret that i have not documented the steps i took.

What advice can you give me?

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell ISPConfig Developer Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

If your current MX record is tied to some name that stays with your old ip addr, yes; otherwise no, you simply update the A/AAAA record for the mx host to the new ip, and the actual MX records remain unchanged.

DMARC and DKIM do not tie to an ip address, and hence will not need to be changed.

SPF records can include IP addresses and will need to be changed if you use those in your records, or if they include a server hostname which is tied to the old IP address. A nice way to handle these upgrades is to create a subdomain like _spf.your-hosting.com with SPF entries appropriate for your current server(s), then have your customers include:_spf.your-hosting.com in their SPF records.

Same caveat as above for the MX record. You may need to update SPF records for these domains, too.

Website settings, if you use the ip address rather than '*', those will need changed as well.

Update the ip under System > Server Config, and System > Server IP addresses, and Server IPv4 Mapping if you use NAT. Maybe check the URL's under Main config > Sites and Main config > Mail.

A quick way to catch many of these at once is to edit the database directly and resync, eg. see https://www.howtoforge.com/community/threads/ispconfig-3-ip-address-change.63543/#post-303963

If your DNS gets updated to point to the new IP addr correctly, there shouldn't be a problem with letsencrypt renewing.

inka likes this.
  3. inka

inka Member

Very interesting i will be testing this and good news on Lets Encrypt, thanks for the sum up!