Mirror Setup - Debian 8 - request for tutorial (bounty possible)

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by Honza, Apr 5, 2016.

1. Honza

Honza Member

Hi,
    I would like to have some step-by-step straightforward tutorial for multi server Mirror Setup (master and slave) with full data replication (including web, mysql, emails data replication). Master is doing all the work and slave is there in case of downtime on master.

The idea is to have server1.example.com (master) and server2.example.com (slave) in two geographically different locations (let's say EU and USA) and once the server1 is down the server2 automatically takes over or with minimum configuration change (ie. DNS change) takes over. Obviously there will be need for data resync from slave to master later once the server1 is back online.

Since I'm Howtoforge subscriber there is how-to instructions inside the manual unfortunately it's for obsolete Debian 6 and it does not include data replication.

Is anybody willing to make such tutorial? I would really appreciate it and willing to put some money into the bounty pot - PayPal or Bitcoin donation through trusted member here. Maybe it would be good idea to add it into the ISPConfig manual since it was not updated since 2013...

Thank you for all your input.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

It includes full data replication for databases, websites and email and the steps are the same for Debian 7 and 8 as well. Beside that, we will publish some new guides for Debian 8 as part f the new ISPConfig 3.1 manual.

https://www.howtoforge.com/installi...tabase-cluster-on-debian-6.0-with-ispconfig-3

3. Honza

Honza Member

4. till

The new manual will be released for ISPConfig 3.1.

You can use this setup as basis for a mirror installation as well. What you have to add is:

1) Setup a MySQL Master/Master mirror before you install ispconfig on the second server.
    2) Ensure that you install ispconfig on the second node in expert mode and that it uses a different database name dbispconfig2 as described in the mirror tutorial.
    3) setup filesystem sync for /var/www and /var/vmail e.g. with unison as describe din mirror guide.
    4) Do the settings in ispconfig to enable mirrring and to connect the uid to the gid (see mirror guide).

5. Honza

Honza Member

when is the version 3.1 going to be released?
    Thanks a lot for the follow up on the mirror setup I will check it out.

6. MQuintana

MQuintana New Member

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  7. till

Ubuntu and Debian are very similar, so you can use the debian guide for Ubuntu as well or use the ubuntu perfect server as basis and add the steps I outlined above.

8. MQuintana

MQuintana New Member