mod-php and www-data

Discussion in 'General' started by axxies, Nov 28, 2018.

1. axxies

axxies Member

We are doing some performance tests and was going to try the mod-php to see if we could get more transactions through the system using that. Anyway, this comes with a problem. When we have files downloaded (these files are zip files that are updates from our GitLab account) using our own software and when we let FastCGI be the PHP version for that site, the correct ownership is set (webX:clientY) for the downloaded files, while when we use mod-php the owner-ship is set to www-data:www-data .

Since the owner of that directory is set to webX:clientY , this means that the zip-files can't be unzipped.

Can I avoid this is any way so that these zip-files are downloaded and stored on disk using the webX:clientY ownership?

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

The only way to avoid that is to switch apache from prefork to mpm_itk mode. But This also means that apache has to spawn an instance of itself under the web user for each site. I would recommend using php-fpm as php mode.

3. axxies

axxies Member

Thank you. The reason to use mod-php was to avoid the process creations and instead go with threading (which I assume is the difference between FastCGI and php-mod), which of the methods to use PHP would be the most efficient for this?

4. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

I would use php-fpm and neither mod_php nor fastcgi.

axxies likes this.