Mod Security and Suse 10.2

Discussion in 'Server Operation' started by mgross, Jul 2, 2007.

1. mgross

mgross New Member

Hi I am running Apache 2 and am trying to figure out how to install mod security on it can anyone help, maybe a short write up?

2. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

3. AidenVennis

AidenVennis New Member

Hi,

I tried following the instructions from the link you suplied but I get the following error when trying the make command.

Makefile:25: /etc/apache2/build/special.mk: No such file or directory
    make: *** No rule to make target `/etc/apache2/build/special.mk'. Stop.

I'm a total noob, know little about compiling. I tried searching with google for solution or a howto for installing modsecurity under openSuse Linux 10.2 but I can't find anything!

A howto would come in handy ;)

[edit]
    Well I started searching all kinds of websites and started thinking and reading the errors good enough. First I found out that GCC was NOT installed, so I installed that. This caused the make command to not function properly. After that the make command came a bit further, everytime I got an error I searched some information on google and looking for package names, filled that in YaST and installed the package if it was missing.

Now I need to add the module to startup with apache. The installation guide tells me the following:
    "Add one line to your configuration to load ModSecurity: LoadModule security2_module modules/mod_security2.so"

When I try to start apache I get the following error:
    Syntax error on line 215 of /etc/apache2/httpd.conf: Cannot load /srv /www/modules/mod_security2.so into server: /srv/www/modules/mod_security2.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

That's right because the file doesn't exists in that location but somewhere else (/usr/lib/apache2). How do I solve this? And isn't it better to tell apache to load the module with the sysconfig editor on the APACHE_MODULES list? If so, how do I do that? (now there is a line full of names and information that I don't understand and that is not explained in the bottom area of the window)

Last edited: Jul 5, 2007
  4. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

Try
    Code:
    LoadModule security2_module /usr/lib/apache2/mod_security2.so