mod-suphp - The Perfect Server - Debian Wheezy (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by mpyusko, Nov 13, 2014.

1. mpyusko

mpyusko New Member

I am in the process of following The Perfect Server - Debian Wheezy (Apache2, BIND, Dovecot, ISPConfig 3) only I am using the Testing repository. when I get to installing libapache2-mod-suphp I get a no candidate available error. On deeper investigation I find out the project has not been updated in over a year. Installing the package from the wheezy repository it breaks the current apache2 package. How important is this mod-suphp? Is there an alternative I am missing?

Thanks.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Your sourcs list must be incorrect, I just verified that the libapache2-mod-suphp exists for wheezy. Please check yor sources.list file and ensure that it is exactly as described in the tutorial the lines must cintian eitherthe word "wheezy" or "stable" to install this tutorial, then run:

apt-get update

to load the new packages and then proceed with the tutorial by installing libapache2-mod-suphp.

You can leave this package out as well, but the suphp functionality will be mising then off course in ispconfig.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  3. mpyusko

mpyusko New Member

Thank you for your timely response. You are correct, libapache2-mod-suphp is available in Wheezy, but please read the quote below.

Also, there is the LQ thread with links demonstrating when and why it was removed from the testing repository. The ISPconfig3 homepage says it is compatible through testing. What won't ISPconfig be able to do that it needs suphp for?

As a rule I run Debian testing on my dev server so it stays current and stable. I can evolve my sites without having to waste time with whole distro installs/upgrades.

4. till

I guess we have to remove it from ISPConfig then as well. You can use ispconfig without it, just suphp wont be available then.

5. mpyusko

mpyusko New Member

Then it is not a critical mod?

6. till

No,its justa optional php mode. The recommended php modes are fastcgi and php-fpm. I've planned to consolidate php modes for apache setups anyway, so the removal of suphp will be the first step.