Moron's Backup Script ISPConfig 2

Discussion in 'Tips/Tricks/Mods' started by Morons, Jun 1, 2010.

1. Morons

Morons Member

I have backup'ed up and sucessfully re-created servers with this scrips or like skipt a few times now

Note on restore:
    The most difficult part is to sort out the /etc/passwd and /etc/group after - basically the proscess is as follow
    pwunconv to get the passwords in the passwd file and same with grpunconv
    then merge the old file by copy-paste or remove the system users and groups from the source and append it. Carefull with group users.

I copied my wiki file here - to lazy to convert to bb enjoy. Additionally I install backuppc and use a cron to daily transfer the backedup data to a UBS extranal drive

Last edited: Jun 1, 2010
  2. bas

bas New Member

Permissions

Thanks very much for this script

I've used it so far in parts - cause i didnt get it fully to work.
    (but am sure that's somethign i can fix)

One potential issue.
    Shouldnt the tar command also have the p option?

After i restored the files, all permissions on the directories were missing.

So shouldnt it be:
    tar cvfzp

Thanks again

3. Morons

Morons Member

Sample

It is meant to be customize by someone that know Bash +

I don't recommend p or rather P because it saves the leading / causing the restore to overwrite potentially a bad idea, rather restore some ware else and move/copy the needed files

I have further developed this a lot if you need assistance just shout:)

4. bas

bas New Member

thanks

Hi

thanks for your answer.
    And i agree - storing the full path isnt a wise plan. Just wanted to see a way to include the permissions.

Do you mean you have a new version ?
    I got my server running good again. So either i'll go and adapt the one you posted here, or if you have an improved version then perhaps that would be wiser.

Thanks

5. DomainAdmin

DomainAdmin New Member

I have a question. I tried using this script and it at times fails to success connect or hold the connection to the FTP server.

So, how can it auto-email me with a status report (success and/or failure), and before stating a new "run", it checks the "backup-files" for old stuff and deletes them first prior to starting a new run.

Rather this, I have two drives in the dedicated server, wish I could "clone" one to the other automatically. or even have it sync the ISPConfig from the master drive to the 2nd drive.