move domain from other provider to our server

Discussion in 'Technical' started by Tom John, Jan 23, 2022.

1. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

Hi guys,
    i have a question regarding if i want to move a domain from another provider. I use ubuntu 20.04 and ispconfig 3.
    I ordered a transfer of the domain from another provider to my server, but until the domain points to the ip of my server how can i reach the webspace on my server to prepare the website?

thanks for your kind help

2. Jesse Norell

Jesse Norell Well-Known Member Staff Member Howtoforge Staff

Edit your local hosts file to specify your server's address for that site name.

ahrasis likes this.
  3. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

4. Tom John

Tom John Active Member HowtoForge Supporter

thanks a lot for your help.
    it works, but i did not setup the lets encrypt certificate, therefor if i want to go to the domain which is still hosted on the old server ispconfig forward me to another domain on my new server because there is no valid ssl cert.
    In ispconfig i can not setup lets encrypt now because it will fail because the domains points to another server, right?
    the domain which is with the old provider is liveact-international.com the server ip of my server which is the new server for the domain is: 144.91.80.244 when i put in the browser the domain liveact-in... it forward to fotografiadeinteriores.com which is as well on my (the new) server with the ip 144.91.80.244.
    my entry in the /etc/hosts
    Code:
    144.91.80.244 liveact-international.com

is there any solution for that?
    thanks a lot for your help

5. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Correct. Let's encrypt authenticates the cert by contacting the server, so this is not ISPConfig related. As long as the domain points to a different server, you won't get a LE cert. All you can do to test it temporarily is to either create a self-signed SSL cert for testing or ask the current server owner to give you the SSL key and cert that the domain uses on the current system so you can insert them on the SSL tab of the site in ISPConfig.

ZinPro likes this.
  6. Domainn

Domainn New Member

Thaks for the useful web link!

ZinPro likes this.