Moving ISPconfig

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by juampi, Feb 24, 2006.

1. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

That depends on the linux distribution. If you dont know the location of a file, use this command to find it:

locate Vhosts_ispconfig.conf

2. pendexgabo

pendexgabo New Member

We did the upgrade and went successfully.. from .14 to .25

thanks a lot for your help!

3. na0lb

na0lb New Member

Sorry I found the (locate Vhosts_ispconfig.conf) command one page 6 of this thread and found the file.

I am running ubuntu 8.04 & ISPConfig-2.2.25

Thank you for the reply

Lee

4. na0lb

na0lb New Member

My /www is /var/www should I just back up /www or also backup /var/

Lee

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

/var/www should be enough. If you're using mbox instead of Maildir you should also back up /var/mail.

6. na0lb

na0lb New Member

Thank you Falko

The move worked great.
    However I did run into one issue.
    I followed the (http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-ubuntu8.04-lts) how to with Ispconfig.
    When I moved everything over Ispconfig would not connect to mysql.

I installed the backup with a different host name test-server1.example.com so it would not get confused with the main server1.example.com that was still online.
    I went through and chaged host, hostname, and changed host in mysql but Ispconfig was still looking for test-server1.example.com what did I miss or should I have told mysql and Ispconfig to use localhost when I installed them.

Lee

7. falko

Do you get any errors when you restart MySQL?

Please check that you've changed the hostnames in /root/ispconfig/httpd/conf/httpd.conf and /home/admispconfig/ispconfig/lib/config.inc.php.

8. stanman

stanman New Member

openvz and moving ispconfig

Hi,
    On my openvz server with ubuntu-minimal i'm planning to migrate the physical ispconfig server. Could i do this using this post? Or are there any known differences?

Great tutorial

9. falko

No, there are no differences.

10. gili

gili New Member

Quoestion

Hello Falko!

I have a question, I make a mistake :(. The ispconfig working since 1 year. I tried upgrade but that not work, and I forgot make a backup from ISPConfig :(.
    I have another server, where I install the new ISPConfig, and I see the db_ispconfig database has 54 table, but I have only 52. That will be a problem when I import the dump from the dead server?

What do you think?
    Bye
    Gili

11. gili

gili New Member

sorry 52

db_ispconfig has 52 table on dead server

12. falko

Yes, that doesn't work.
    Please check your /tmp folder on the dead server, you should find backups of /root/ispconfig, /home/admispconfig, and your ISPConfig database there.

13. DaFux

DaFux New Member

Thank you - that has helped me a lot!
    [​IMG]

14. oriongr

oriongr Member

Just a simple script...

I made this script according to Falko's post

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    #Backup tool for ISPconfig v. 0.11
    today=`date +%d-%m-%y`
    cp /etc/passwd /root/backups
    cp /etc/shadow /root/backups
    cp /etc/group /root/backups
    cp /etc/apache2/vhosts/Vhosts_ispconfig.conf /root/backups
    cp /etc/postfix/local-host-names /root/backups
    cp /etc/postfix/virtusertable /root/backups
    cp /var/lib/named/etc/bind/named.conf /root/backups
    cp /etc/proftpd*.conf /root/backups
    cp /var/lib/named/etc/bind/pri.* /root/backups
    cd /root/backups
    mysqldump -h localhost -u root -pTYPEYOURPASS -c --add-drop-table --add-locks --all --quick --lock-tables -all-databases > sqldump_$today
    cd /root
    tar pczf backup_$today.tar.gz  backups
    mutt -s "Daily Backup for $today" -a /root/backup_$today.tar.gz [email protected] < The backup created!
    mv backup_$today.tar.gz /root/backups/
    rm /root/backups/*

I call it backup.sh and I run it from /root
    Before you run it create a directory backups inside root
    It keeps a copy in your root dir and also sends a copy by email if you want..
    I moved the ISPconfig from one server to another with almost no problem
    the only problems I had ws with db users and the passwords...

Thanks

Last edited: Dec 18, 2008
  15. brainz

brainz Member

Or if i can make a suggestion...

I recently moved from one server to another with my ispconfig i used....

Clonevilla which worked magically.... all i had to do after creating the clone was this...

change or delete /etc/udev/rules.d/z25_persistent-net.rules (will
    be regenerate on boot) to the new NIC is eth0

Offcourse the above to items are for Debian Etch or Debian based distributions.

and rebooted the server and the clone was now the live server and i havent had a problem with the clone since.

It seems as well it will allow for large drives as well, i went from a 80 gig drive to a 400 gig drive with ease.

regards
    brainz :D

Last edited: Dec 19, 2008
  16. oriongr

oriongr Member

Do you have physical access to the server?

17. brainz

brainz Member

Yes i do... Physical access to but original server and clone server however i cloned the image using clonevilla to a ftp server which happens to be a NAS.

Then from the image on the NAS i cloned the new or soon to be live server.

regards
    brainz :D

18. shawnbishop

shawnbishop New Member

I had a ISPConfig failure on Friday, I then reinstalled a new server with updated packages and then using my backup from ISPConfig from last week, go to find the restore button, cant find it...search through the forums and see I had to backup all the /etc/* files for the backup...

really silly as my backup is then useless!!!, the HDD failed on the old machine...whats the poitn of a backup if you need files form another system that werent in the backup..rather call it a partial backup..really peeved now...:mad:

19. wr19026

wr19026 New Member

Just so that I understand correctly; after I have done the original server setup, install ISPConfig and then restore the ISPConfig database - /etc/passwd/etc/shadow and /etc/group will be updated by the restore process to add my ISPConfig users? The recommendation to compare those files is purely to catch any possible problems?

20. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

No. You have to copy all relevant lines from the old to the new server manually in these files.