Moving ISPConfig3 from Ubuntu to Debian

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by itsnedkeren, Jan 11, 2010.

1. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Hi.

I want to move all my server contents from Ubuntu to Debian. I have tried searching the forums for a solution to this. But all I find is and old thread for ISPConfig2, which does not seem to be valid for ISPConfig3.

Can someone please tell me step-by-step what to do? I'm running latest version of ISPConfig3.

Thanks in advance for any assistance :)

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  2. dexter1983

dexter1983 New Member

3. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

That's the guide for installing ISPC3 on Debian. What I want to know is how to move an existing ISPConfig3 installation from one system to another, in this case from Ubuntu -> Debian.

Thanks anaway though :)

4. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Anyone know how to do this?

5. falko

falko Super Moderator Howtoforge Staff

I'm sorry, I've never tried this.

6. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Sorry for reviving this old thread, but now I really need to do this.

Is there anyone with experience or knowledge out there who can point me in the right direction please?

Thanks for any help.

EDIT: I have a Debian server running and ready, with freshly installed ISPConfig3 on.

/Jim

7. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

There should be no difference if you move from debian to debian or from ubuntu to debian.

1) Install ispconfug 3 on the debian server. It has to be the same version then on the old server.
    2) copy all lines of the web* users from /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow to the new server.
    3) copy all lines of the client* groups from /etc/group and /etc/gshadow to the new server.
    4) Move the directories /var/www and /var/vmail to the new server (with preserved permissions).
    5) copy the ispconfig database to the new server.
    6) copy the website databases to the new server. Then copy the user and db entrys for the client databases from the mysql.dser and mysql.db database tables to the new system.

8. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Thanks a lot, I'll give it a go :)

9. dpejic

dpejic New Member

Migrating ispconfig3 from fedora 10 to Debian

Please if anyone knows which way to do it, or some links that would help me. Thanks in forward

10. till

See post #7 of this thread.

11. Sinchan

Sinchan New Member

do you mean copy folder ispconfig in /var/lib/mysql till? i suggest to shutdown mysqld first if database is opened.

12. till

I meant to dump the database with the mysqldump command into a file and then import it on the new server.

In general: Copying of folders in /var/lib/mysql works only for databases in myisam format and not for databases in the new innodb format.

13. Sinchan

Sinchan New Member

okay till thanks to clarify. its more clearly now :)

14. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

It seems to be working, but after the move, none of my mails are showing in Squirrelmail or Roundcube :(( I get new mails in fine, and can send as well. But my 500+ mails are not showing :( They are located under /var/vmail under my folder.

Please help.

Thanks
    Jim

mail.err
    Code:
    Nov  5 03:15:14 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7896]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:15:16 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7897]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:16:17 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7904]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:17:18 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7929]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:18:19 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7941]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:19:20 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7952]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:19:21 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[7954]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:20:21 node01 postfix/trivial-rewrite[8016]: fatal: proxy:mysql:/etc/postfix/mysql-virtual_domains.cf(0,lock|fold_fix): table lookup problem
    Nov  5 03:20:51 node01 dovecot: auth-worker(default): mysql: Connect failed to localhost (dbispconfig): Access denied for user 'ispconfig'@'localhost' (using password: YES) - waiting for 1 seconds before retry
    I have fixed the access denied for localhost, so that's not the problem

EDIT: I don't recall "dovecot" from my "old" system, can that have something to do with this???

EDIT2: See picture attachment, for some reason my current mail setup looks in the "MailDir" folder and not in the root of the account.

EDIT3: I also changed from Courier to Dovecot in the ISPConfig admin, still same problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 5, 2010
  15. falko

16. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

17. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Following this -> http://www.howtoforge.com/perfect-server-debian-lenny-ispconfig3-p3 from number 9 and installed courier again, everything is working and as a side note, performance IS MUCH BETTER with courier.

Is there anything I should be aware of doing this? How do I make sure that Dovecot is completely removed?

I have run: apt-get remove dovecot

but it states that it is not present, but I can run /etc/init.d/dovecot start|stop with success :s

Thanks again.

18. falko

Try
    Code:
    apt-get purge dovecot

19. itsnedkeren

itsnedkeren New Member

Code:
    node01:~# apt-get purge dovecot
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    Package dovecot is not installed, so not removed
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    node01:~#

Still able to execute:

Code:
    node01:~# /etc/init.d/dovecot start
    node01:~# /etc/init.d/dovecot stop
    node01:~#
    Thanks again.

20. falko

Try
    Code:
    apt-get --purge remove dovecot