Multi server setup

Discussion in 'Installation/Configuration' started by rpr, Oct 28, 2014.

1. rpr

rpr New Member

Hi,

I am currently trying to setup a multi server setup using the documentation:
    http://www.howtoforge.com/multiserv...se-servers-on-debian-squeeze-with-ispconfig-3

But there is 1 thing I don't understand:
    Why do they place the ispconfig db on the webserver instead of the database server.
    One reason I could think of is that when your webserver is online you can manage everything and when you put the db on the database server you need at least 2 servers up & running to do stuff.

Reason to ask this is quite simple.
    My database server has more resources and caches almost everything in memory while the webserver has less resources.

Is the dbconfig database large?

Thanks in advance.

2. till

till Super Moderator Staff Member ISPConfig Developer

Each server node runs a mysql server. This mysql server is used internally by ispconfig, the database contains just the configuration data of the node, so its not large. The website databases are on the database server.

3. rpr

rpr New Member

That I understand but you create a MySQL master server which will host every configuration(The ispconfig config itself)? The local SQL server only contains the information of the server itself and sync with the master db?

Or do I get it wrong?
    Posted a php -q install.php output from the documentation (Mysql server installation)

it points to web.example.tld for the MYSQL master server but I don't understand why. It would be logical to run the MYSQL master db on the database server.

Code:
    Select language (en,de) [en]: <-- en
    Installation mode (standard,expert) [standard]: <-- expert
    Full qualified hostname (FQDN) of the server, eg server1.domain.tld
    [db.example.tld]: <-- db.example.tld
    MySQL server hostname [localhost]: <-- localhost
    MySQL root username [root]: <-- root
    MySQL root password []: <-- Enter your MySQL root password here
    MySQL database to create [dbispconfig]: <-- dbispconfig
    MySQL charset [utf8]: <-- utf8
    Shall this server join an existing ISPConfig multiserver setup (y,n) [n]: <-- y
    MySQL master server hostname []: <-- web.example.tld
    MySQL master server root username [root]: <-- root
    MySQL master server root password []: <-- Enter the root password of the master server here
    MySQL master server database name [dbispconfig]: <-- dbispconfig
    Configure Mail (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure Jailkit (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure FTP Server (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure DNS Server (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure Apache Server (y,n) [y]: <-- n
    Configure Firewall Server (y,n) [y]: <--y
    Install ISPConfig Web-Interface (y,n) [y]: <--n

4. rpr

rpr New Member

No one knows why?

5. till

No, thats not. Your logic would simply introduce a single point of failure. something that has to be avoided on multiserver and cluster setups.

Please read the multiserver guide, the setup is described there and there you can see that the slaves connect to the master server and not the database server. the database server runs oly client (website) databases, it does not cntain the master data.

6. rpr

rpr New Member

Now the single point of failure is the webserver because it host the masterdb database.

What I find more logical is:

Last edited: Oct 30, 2014
  7. till

No, its not as all nodes works independant from each other. You can shutdown the master at any time and this wont affect the operation of the other nodes. On your setup where you use the dedicated database server for the master database instead of the local database of the master, you bring down at last 2 nodes when the database server fails.

Thats a setup whith a dedicated master that is used for larger setups where you have dozens of servers. But the master is still only the master which runs its local master db and not the database server for the client databases.

8. rpr

rpr New Member

Then why not host the master db on the db server?

9. till

A failure of this node will affect 2 servers instead of one. But if this dont amtter for you, then you can install it on the dn server off course. But this requires that you install the dbs server first and your db server must run a full webserver stack, which you nrmally wont do.

10. rpr

rpr New Member

Why would it affect more servers then when you install it on the webserver.
    That is the questions that haunts me when I started this thread.

11. rpr

rpr New Member

Just tried to install the master db on the db server but then the ispconfig panel isn't working properly.

The webserver is the only server that is showing up at system > system > server services. Don't really grasp why it didn't work.

Did exact the same install but the master db on the webserver and everythings worked fine.

Learning a lot about ispconfig.